What are these stones?

Zolotov

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After panning about 4 pans on the bottom of the result there were these rocks:

20170414_110619.jpg

What is their name ?
They were the heaviest rocks, because they were left at the end of panning process. The biggest rock in this picture is 1cm long. Up the river stream there is an active gold mine so I know the river has gold and I actually can see micron-size gold particles.

Upvote 0

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably hematite, but I need a closer view of them. Do they stick to a magnet? some appear to be sub metallic? yes? There look to be at least three variations of the material and a couple that might not match. Nothing we have here is that sharp and rectangular. It's all rounded and globular, though some of it does play on a rectangle. When Identifying something: First smash it with a hammer. Observe the results, color, size , shape, luster. check it with a magnet. Observe the relative weight of the object. Perform a specific gravity test, This one cannot be over stated. Specific gravity is a big part of the solution. I have seen some material. Most folks would tell yah it was magnetite or hematite. but it can't be both yet it separates with a magnet some stays some goes. But the specific gravity, it matches a material called coltan and most folks wouldn't notice that, just based on it's dull blue luster. But specific gravity tells you a different story. So that kind of information is worth knowing. You take all your streak and hardness and SG and luster and fracture and you punch that into a sight like minedat or web mineral which is now possibly some other site??? and it kicks out some suggestions. Then google is your friend, google images and yah type in each one of those 25 possibilities and look at every form they have been discovered in around the world and you compare that back to your observations you made whan yah crushed it with a hammer and Vallah! After only a few short years you can recognize most of the material you will find in your area as well as brazil and kazikstan and bengladesh or some obscure backwater in some place in russia. And spend hours and days and weeks of your life staring at rocks. Trying to memorize every possible crystal form of every imaginable valuable mineral crystal until your eyes bug out!

You know, if your obsessive about that sort of thing. Otherwise it magnetite.

Erikmcclellan

Apr 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably hematite, but I need a closer view of them. Do they stick to a magnet? some appear to be sub metallic? yes? There look to be at least three variations of the material and a couple that might not match. Nothing we have here is that sharp and rectangular. It's all rounded and globular, though some of it does play on a rectangle. When Identifying something: First smash it with a hammer. Observe the results, color, size , shape, luster. check it with a magnet. Observe the relative weight of the object. Perform a specific gravity test, This one cannot be over stated. Specific gravity is a big part of the solution. I have seen some material. Most folks would tell yah it was magnetite or hematite. but it can't be both yet it separates with a magnet some stays some goes. But the specific gravity, it matches a material called coltan and most folks wouldn't notice that, just based on it's dull blue luster. But specific gravity tells you a different story. So that kind of information is worth knowing. You take all your streak and hardness and SG and luster and fracture and you punch that into a sight like minedat or web mineral which is now possibly some other site??? and it kicks out some suggestions. Then google is your friend, google images and yah type in each one of those 25 possibilities and look at every form they have been discovered in around the world and you compare that back to your observations you made whan yah crushed it with a hammer and Vallah! After only a few short years you can recognize most of the material you will find in your area as well as brazil and kazikstan and bengladesh or some obscure backwater in some place in russia. And spend hours and days and weeks of your life staring at rocks. Trying to memorize every possible crystal form of every imaginable valuable mineral crystal until your eyes bug out!

You know, if your obsessive about that sort of thing. Otherwise it magnetite.

and/or buy samples of similar rocks seen some cool sample trays available.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At the end of your panning process, this size of material should be washed out leaving only the finer and heavier concentrates. I think you need to work on your panning technique some. You can start by pre-screening everything before you pan it and toss out everything 1/4" and larger.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some quartz, some chert/Jasper, some looks igneous, rough looking could be pushed downhill from some rock quarry
or other processing up stream, some looks like its starting to become agatized that could make it heaver.
most definitely leaverite

Last edited:

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some quartz, some chert/Jasper, some looks igneous, rough looking could be pushed downhill from some rock quarry
or other processing up stream, some looks like its starting to become agatized that could make it heaver.
most definitely leaverite

I gave the benefit of the doubt that it was not agate that I was seeing. That's why I needed a closer look, lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread