• image-4151696270.jpg
    image-4151696270.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 85

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found Fools Gold if it attracts to a magnet also. I'm not seeing the actual crystal structure from the pictures provided. Strike two of 'em together and if they spark that's what it is IMO. Nice finds!

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these rocks in a field. Anybody know what they are? Metal and attracts a magnet. Thanks!

Those are intriguing. They have a chalcopyritic look to them. You say in your description they are metal. I don't believe they are metal, you might get a signal when you pass your metal detector over them but that doesn't mean they are metal. That just means there are elements or assemblages of elements that are present in the specimen that set the metal detector off.

So when I'm challenged with mineral specimen and trying to identify it, i do a scratch test. Get a non-glazed piece of tile, if you don't have a non-glazed piece of tile the button of your toilet tank cover makes a great scratch plate.. Scratch the tile with the specimen. After doing this observe the streak color and smell the streak for any distinctive odors. Let me know what you observe. Good Luck

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread