What are these??

Zyzzbruh

Apr 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone
Had these for around 30 years now, found them in turkey. Never thought about or had the opportunity to figure out what they are.

Best way i can describe them is they have a transparent and cloudy core which is very smooth and impossible to scratch, surrounded in white stone, with what appears to be completely 3 dimensional plant looking things that have grown/been trapped inside.
IMG_20190423_131644.jpg IMG_20190423_131933.jpg IMG_20190423_131908.jpg

Last edited:

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
Looks like some variety of agate. Similar to moss agate with those inclusions. Though I’m sure the really good geology guys will show up and slap my theory down. I’m not great at geology

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet!

As Madmox stated, your rocks are Moss Agates, though not quite the gem quality. They need to be more clear with the moss inclusions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zyzzbruh

Apr 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou!
My initial research led me towards the Moss agate path aswell. Was still unsure though cause moss agates seem to always be green with random whisps of moss through it, where as the Moss like things in these ones are very thick, prominent and seem to grow in an almost fungus like pattern. The photos don't really do it justice when you look at them in person they look extremely 3d and like each one is an individual plant frozen in time.

Definitely leaning towards it being a variation of a moss agate, just curious if anyone else has seen similar specimens to these.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zyzzbruh

Apr 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20190423_163446.jpg
These are a couple of other specimens from the same area. The brown one has the Moss like things running through it aswell.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Zyzzbruh! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Upvote 0

stdenis_jd

May 7, 2015
West Lower Peninsula, MI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like dendritic opal, or dendritic chalcedony

only difference between them would be opal is amorphous (non-crystalline) and chalcedony is micro/cryptocrystalline. The tree looking thingys are the dendrites

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zyzzbruh

Apr 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks so much. Googled them both and they are spot on, looks exactly like it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread