What are they and what were they used for?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
In the area I live in we have lots of swamps and sandy hills and any rocks in this area were brought in. The Indians used this area in great numbers. We have always picked up arrowheads and "Indian Rocks." My grandpa was the type that picked up any rocks in the field and took them home with him and explained that the Indians had used them for tools. I never learned what they used some of the stuff for until here lately. I was out at my grandma's house last week and we were in the yard walking around the place. We walked over to a large pile of rocks that is 2 foot high, 20 foot long and 4 foot wide. These were the rocks that my grandpa had brought out of the fields. I saw alot of grinding stones, nutting stones and "Indian Rocks." I told my grandma that I would like to get some of the rocks and she told to get all that I wanted. Some rocks are about hand size and they are broken on one end. I once thought these were rocks that had been broken by a disk, but I recently found out that these were more than likely hammerstones and the breaks were caused from use. So now I keep every rock just like my grandpa once did. Today I picked up several hammerstones, larger rock fragments and a rather large hunk of white Chert. I have several artifacts in my collection.... some very large items that are possibly hoes or adzes.
I am trying to learn how to identify what I find and what they were used for. I would also like to learn what period items come from. Are there any sites that show tools and weapons of different periods? I want to learn.

Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
If you have some pics of some of your finds, I'm sure someone could help put you on the right path. From your post, it sounds like we share something in common. It's much more than "collecting" for me, it's a passion and all about the knowledge. I look forward to more of your posts and seeing what you've been finding! Merry Christmas!!

Matt

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Thanks for the replies!

I don't have a camera here that works or I would take pics and post them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread