What are YOU doing here? UPDATED-Pics

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
~I know most of you have seen a 1937 wheat before. This is my first try at posting pics so this is just a test.~

I've been looking for jewelry lately so I've been hitting this huge park that has about 8 or 9 full size soccer fields in it. (Never realized how big those suckers are! :o) Been working out this one field this week, mostly finding clad and pretty deep considering: 4 even 5 inches. So imagine my surprise when I pulled a 1937 wheat cent at 3 inches. :icon_scratch: It just goes to show ya, treasure is everywhere! This park wasn't started until 1978 and there was nothing of historical importance on that side of town prior to the park. (that i know of) So pretty unusual. Probably somebodies lucky penny that they lost. Haven't found any jewelry yet, but I do plan on hunting every field and I'll let y'all know when I find something good. HH

~Texasgopher

Attachments

• IMG_0865 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0865 - Copy.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,631
  • IMG_0866 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0866 - Copy.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,623
  • IMG_0867 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0867 - Copy.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 1,631
Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in June 2009 i was hunting a 4th generation farm site that had this huge tree that split the dirt roadway that lead to the back barns the owner told that when kids they used to climb that tree and his dad before him, hes in his 80,s now he said try there , in about a minute into the hunt i got a strong signal on my DFX about 3 inches down about 3 feet from the base of the tree it was a penny spill 6 wheats and 4 IH,s the wheats were between 1912 and 1918 the 4 IH,s oldest was 1902 to 1906 i think a big root stopped them from going any deeper , i showed the owner later he said oh sure i remember those then he said long ago when kids they had mason jars filled with pennys they buried out in the fields somewhere ?? but now he cant remember where then he started to laugh :laughing7: lets see if start in May i should get the entire 40 acres hunted by Aug. :icon_scratch: HH Jim

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dfx willy said:
i know someone who pulled a 179? draped bust at a park that wasnt that old. it had to be the fill brought in. now thats a example of a old coin changed to a diferent location. willy

That happens around here, too. I hunted an obviously filled and graded high school sports pratice field last fall. Along with TONS of can slaw and trash I dug an 1832 large cent. Numerous CW era bullets and buttons also were dug by others.

So... you never know...

DCMatt

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Thanks for all the posts on this guys! It is really cool to hear that it happens to most of us. Maybe someone should start a thread about the topic but I don't know where it would go. It just goes to show you like I've said before, this proves that in this hobby there really is treasure everywhere! HH

TG

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Deepdiger60 said:
Back in June 2009 i was hunting a 4th generation farm site that had this huge tree that split the dirt roadway that lead to the back barns the owner told that when kids they used to climb that tree and his dad before him, hes in his 80,s now he said try there , in about a minute into the hunt i got a strong signal on my DFX about 3 inches down about 3 feet from the base of the tree it was a penny spill 6 wheats and 4 IH,s the wheats were between 1912 and 1918 the 4 IH,s oldest was 1902 to 1906 i think a big root stopped them from going any deeper , i showed the owner later he said oh sure i remember those then he said long ago when kids they had mason jars filled with pennys they buried out in the fields somewhere ?? but now he cant remember where then he started to laugh :laughing7: lets see if start in May i should get the entire 40 acres hunted by Aug. :icon_scratch: HH Jim

That is awesome! please let us know WHEN you find them!

TG

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Deepdiger60 said:

Yanno, got me to thinking now...down on my grandparents farm
when my great grandpa was a kid, they lived in a dug out. It has
since collapsed of course. But when they lived there, the kids kept
a bag they held their pennies in. Woulda been late 1880's or 90's.
But one day the bag broke and a lot of the pennies were never
recovered. They're still down there somewhere. Doubt a regular
metal detector would pick em up of course...

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
CowboyKolo said:
Deepdiger60 said:

Sift it! you'll find them that way for sure!

TG

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Was not many years ago you could still get wheats in change. :laughing7:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D :D

I still get wheats in change from time to time. What got me to start coin roll searching for them.

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
[/quote]

Sift it! you'll find them that way for sure!

TG
[/quote]

I dunno...seems an awful lotta work to move a whole house for just a buck or two in pennies that might be too corroded to even see lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions