What Are you Thankful For This Year?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thanksgiving time holds alot of precious memories for me and I have so very much to be thankful for this year.

Alot of you know that I lost my dad on Thanksgiving Day a few years back. The entire family had gathered at my sisters, kids were running around like crazy,laughter echoed off the walls ,my sisters and I had made twenty pies and were dang proud of ourselves. My dad was waltzing in the kitchen holding my Mariah in his arms and singing to her,the fireplace was blazing,turkey was just finishing roasting....There was nothing dad loved more than to have his family all together.A more perfect day had not been made. Then one of the guys got an idea that the old cottonwood tree in the front yard had to come down. All the menfolk got ready and alot of kidding was going on as the older guys were going to show the younger ones "how to cut a tree". My dad kissed Mariahs head as he handed her back to me and laughed about how very sorry he felt for her as she was the only grandbaby that looked just like Him! That is a memory I always will cherish.

I remember gathering 20 some children to the windows to watch Papa cut the tree.Dad was always in his element when he had an adoring audience and he gave them all a funny little jig. They all pressed their noses to the window in anticipation.
My dad had been a logger all his life. He was with other woodsmen and his brother who also cut trees.
In a flash, something went terribly wrong and a huge 12 inch limb came hurtling from the sky. It hit my dad in the back of the head,knocking his cowboy hat off and flipping him into the air. You cannot imagine the screams that echoed through that house.
My sister and I were of the first to reach him,he gave a small moan and squeezed our hands as his breath slipped away . We started CPR immediately and continued till the ambulance came and then they airlifted him to Milwaukee. By the time we all got to the hospital as well as family from Michigan;the team of doctors had a hallway of over 50 people . They told us dad would not survive.He had massive fractures to the back of his head and basically only the machine was keeping him alive. The hospital gave us all rooms to wait out the night,but no one could sleep. By morning more relatives and friends had arrived,as they called us in to unplug the life support. Each person told my dad goodbye and what he meant to them. I hope he could hear the love that was in the room for him.
When they unplugged the machine,my sister and I knelt on each side of the bed and held each others hand across my dads heart. Everyone had left except for us two. We said that our dad had held us in his arms the first moment of our lives and we would hold him in his last moments.
As that strong loving heart came to its final rest, I knew that I was extremely lucky to have had such a kind and loving Father. Everyone knew without a doubt that my dad loved them, because he told them. He was the strongest, funniest, toughest old cowboy you ever met, but he didnt hesitate ever to say ''I love You".

The reason for this story is not to make you feel sad, but rather to make you Thankful. You should count your Blessings everyday, no matter how very small they might seem.
Tell the people you love that you do care and that you do love them. Hold the ones you love very close and dont let a moment go by that you dont let them know how special they are. We never know the moment when a loved one or friend can be taken from us.It can happen in a blink of an eye. My dad taught us how to live and to love...each moment ...each breath is not to be wasted.

So this Thanksgiving Day as well as everyday ....I am thankful for all the wonderful people I have met here at Treasurenet. You have made me cry,roll in hysterics,think,explore ,dream,research ,hunt better,deeper and wiser,and most of all...to feel blessed for being such a part of a great forum family.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone and know you are all Blessed! Please share with us what you are thankful for this year.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Gypsy, there will be other posts beyond number, but there will never be a better one. Thank you.

I'm thankful for you and all the friends I've made here on TreasureNet— especially those who stood by me when it mattered most. This is more than a forum... more, even, than a fraternity... this is a family. There is a special bond here that transcends mere fellowship or casual friendship. We may not always agree, we may not always understand one another or appreciate one another's personal quirks or comments, and we may not always say or do the right things at the right times. But even though most of us have never met, we know one another. We respect one another. We wish one another well, and welcome the chance to offer a kind word or lend a helping hand. Maybe there are plenty of other places where you can find the same thing— but I'm thankful to have found it here.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

PBK

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone have a good Thanksgiving.
Hope your together with the ones
you love.

:'(

all have a good un.........

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Gypsy and PBK, I tried to be as eloquent as you but you said it better than I ever could.

I too am grateful for all those here. Some I've met and gotten to know, others I've only gotten to know by posts and PM's. The one thing we have in common is searching for that elusive treasure but by the power of TNet, we've already found it in the friendship and comradre we share. We've touched each other's lives in many different ways and in doing so have become better for it. We may not be blood relatives but we're still closer than a lot of families and for that I'm thankful. May you all be blessed with a healthy, long life filled with many wonderful adventures.

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Gypsy, I really don't know what to say. As I sat here reading your post and thinking of my friend that just passed, your words really touched me. Lots of times we get so hung up on the negatives in life, we forget the gifts we are given. I am thankful for my wife, kids, family and friends. I am also thankful for the friendships I have made here.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Gyspyheart, My heart goes out to you. The people here on TN,well I am so thankful for all of you. Friends,no,we are all family. I see it every day,and every day I am just that more thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!

PS. Gyspy,you are so sweet ;)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TO live another day with my family

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Great post Gypsy. Certainly a great Thanksgiving post to put things in thier proper perspective.

I will keep a post short and simple for once. Giving you all one more thing to be thankful for.

Met a lot of great friends here. Have a great family. This has overall been one of the worse years of my life. But I am very thankful to have a great family to help get through this year. And thankful for my new family here at TN to help me forget what a bad year it has been, and to entertain me with your great posts and your great stories.

Postalrevnant

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Gypsy,

<<<sniffle>>><<<sniffle>>><<<sniffle>>>
I was a total 'soup sandwich' reading your post. Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man. You were blessed, indeed :) I lost my Dad when I was 10. But, I am thankful for the 10 years I did have with him :)
I am thankful for my family, my friends, my neighbors, my home and my country , the shoes on my feet, the food that I eat, and the warm place I sleep :)
I am also thankful for the small seed of faith I was born with. My.....how it has grown over the years...as it carried me thru many bad/hard times :)

I am thankful to Marc for this awesome site which has brought together ALL YOU AWESOME PEOPLE:) :) :) :)

Wishing you all a warm-fuzzy turkey day :)

Abundantly Blessed AND Highly Favored,
Ashleen

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:'( Gypsy, WOW....I have never looked into the depth of Thanksgiving and what it really means to ME...but now since this story I am truely a Thankful person...BRAVO to you and your Family and as for my Thankfullness...well being able to hear these friends trials and tribulations...I am thankful and happy that I have my family and friends here at Treasure net....Excellant...and Dont burn the turkey! THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS WITH US.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
First and foremost I am thankful for my husband of almost 20 years, he has a huge heart and I may get put on the back burner because someone needs him more than I do at the time, but it's one of the things I love the most. I am thankful for his family and the fact that they opened their hearts to me and accepted me as a part of the family. I am thankful for all my friends far, near and here at TN. I am thankful for the men, women, and "children" that so proudly serve and protect our country and spend the Holiday Season without their family.

All in all I am thankful for all I have and thankful for what I do not have. If it all ended tomarrow I would be sorry for nothing except those I left behind.

Best wishes to all for a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!
Kim

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
PBK said:
Gypsy, there will be other posts beyond number, but there will never be a better one. Thank you.

I'm thankful for you and all the friends I've made here on TreasureNet— especially those who stood by me when it mattered most. This is more than a forum... more, even, than a fraternity... this is a family. There is a special bond here that transcends mere fellowship or casual friendship. We may not always agree, we may not always understand one another or appreciate one another's personal quirks or comments, and we may not always say or do the right things at the right times. But even though most of us have never met, we know one another. We respect one another. We wish one another well, and welcome the chance to offer a kind word or lend a helping hand. Maybe there are plenty of other places where you can find the same thing— but I'm thankful to have found it here.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

PBK

I came into this post planning to write about how I was thankful for TNet, but PBK , I couldn't have said it better. I second these thoughts. I will add that I am positive that I would not have hunted as much or had all the great finds that I did this year if I would not have found this wonderful website.

Thanks to Marc and the Mod Squad, Jeff, PBK, and Wreckdiver1715!!

Blessings to everyone on TNet!

Smiles!
BDoo

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there will be a dry eye here after reading Gypsy's story. :'( :'(

Gypsy, I know it was a very hard ordeal to even type this. My heart goes to you...thank you for sharing with us. :-*

I'm thankful for the wonderful memories of yesteryear of my parents, my husband's parents.

I'm thankful to the brave and courageous men and women of the armed forces.

I'm baffled for words right now, PBK's quote states it all....

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless.

;) RR

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You[,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You[,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You,Thank You And You[size=10pt][size=10pt],Thank You And You and I am Happy to be among friends!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ive got to admit gypsy that reading your post got me a bit choked up. i guess like ashleen, i am thankful for the seed of faith that i recently have gotten, even if it is still growing ;), thankfull for my family, friends, health, and yes......this forum too. there does seem to be something special about this place and the people in it. i can honestly say that i have met some of the nicest people here over the last year and a half. i wouldnt have thought that you could become as good of friends with someone online but seeing is believing! the results of JDs hunt further prove it. happy thanksgiving to all of you. :)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gyspy, hun, again you've knocked my socks off with one of your posts. :'(

I'm so thankful that you found Tnet almost a year ago. You've really livened the place up. Your posts always evoke some emotions in me....from laughter to tears...and every emotion in between. Thanks for being such a good friend to everyone. :)

Happy Thanksgiving. :-*

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a very heartfelt story Gypsy...sorry for your loss. Your story does make us count our blessings.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Yes Gypsy, my deepest condolances. Keep his memory alive, he will live forever in your heart. I am thankful for a lot of things, this hobby & this website are at the top of my list! I have met many very cool people who share in this insane obsession, & I am thankful to know every one of you crazy ba$tards! ;D I hope every body who reads this gets to spend the holidays with someone they love...........with someone who loves them! :)

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Thank you for the heartfelt story Gypsy.....to often we get caught up in our daily routines to stop and really look around us. We have SOOOO much to be thankful for. We whine if our car breaks down; or we don't get what we expected after buying something at the store; etc....all the routine stuff we take for granted MANY MANY people in this world have NONE of it. If you have a family; your health; able to work; have time to go swing that toy around once in a while.....YOU are blessed. Too much "stuff" and way too many choices have spoiled us rotten........man; some people are happy just to be able to eat! Be thankful; and if you can....share a little of what you have this holiday season. Drop off some of your outgrown coats to the shelter; buy a couple turkeys and give them to someone you know who could use one......you get the idea. Be thankful......you could change a life if you just stop and reflect on what you have....and then share it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions