What are you thoughts on detecting along old rock walls. Check out these map views

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the place that I deer hunt there are two rectangle sections in the woods that are fenced off with old rock fences. One is about 40 acres and one is about 80 acres. The 80 acre section is right on the top of a hill and drops off pretty steep on both sides down to creeks. The 40 acre section has a couple of springs right on the edge of it and the ground stays pretty wet around there all year. I just cant help but to think that there must be a an old homestead around there somewhere but so far I haven't been able to locate anything. Have you guys ever had any luck detecting along those old rock wall fences. People sure spent a lot of time building them as long as they are. Here are a couple of google map pics of the areas that I am talking about along with a few pics of the walls I took.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hit the ones on my property pretty hard and haven't found anything good. You never know until you give it a try though. The people who lived here 100 years ago were either poor as dirt or smart enough not to take anything valuable with them out in the fields. [emoji30]

Bamadad53

Oct 24, 2016
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back when farming was done by hand or draft animals it was standard practice to place tilled up stones on the perimeter of the field. After years of farming you had a stone wall marking what you claimed as your property for all to see. One of the tenants of property rights ownership is "open and notorious".

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly back when the walls were built they only carried beans for coins. Okay that a little far fetched but those are some cool pictures and I would be fascinated by them.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I have hunted many of these in Europe, had my best luck in Germany and Luxembourg when it came to finding a cache. Not really big on this sort of hunting but sometimes my wife or kids talk me into it.

OP
OP
T

thekevin

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I right in thinking that they probably lived somewhere really close to the fields that they were working.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread