What books at the local library should i read?

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good question! I'm kind of on the same kind of search. I haven't spent anytime in the library yet, because I really don't know where you would start there. I think most people hear of a treasure legend then search from there to see if it's possible. I have done it in the past looking for towns that don't exist anymore. Or looking for where cities were the oldest,mining towns,mostly coal because of where I was located. oldest roads in the area. I've done those kind of searches for metal detecting.

Most books I have just say the local history section but I've read quite a few on the county towns etc never came up with any really good leads but mainly because from what I've read many people in my area where very poor so a really good chance there isn't anything.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, you can try to go back further, Indian,settlers,...... The harder the information is to find the better. Was there any gold mining in your area?

There where some mining camps according to Thomas p Terry's treasure atlas but I can't find any more info the historical society told me there not ghost towns just unincorporated and some of the towns listed they have never heard of. Some people have said the treasure atlas wasn't always accurate .

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I know to look in local history section and I know there's not going to be a book called local treasure legends. ( if there is awesome lol) Am I really just going to have to read a lot of revolutionary or civil war diaries etc just for a chance it might mention a lead or is there a better way?

For a starter, to help with finding leads I would recommend the US Treasure Atlas series by Thomas P. Terry. Terry was a newsman and simply compiled sources, did not apparently fact-check every single entry but these atlases are good for 'start' leads, to then research further. Another good site is the Library of Congress newspaper archive which is online at:
All Digitized Newspapers « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

the NC newspaper archive is another possible source:
North Carolina Newspapers
also the NC state archives have some interesting sources:
Home: State Archives of North Carolina

if you are interested in Civil War sites, perhaps the Official Record might help and that is online (complete) at:
Browse | Cornell University Library Making of America Collection

I hope this is of some help to you, good luck and good hunting, I hope you find the treasures that you seek.
Oroblanco

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Call your libraries (city and county) and obtain the number(s) for the local historian. Call him/her and ask your Q.
If he/she can or cannot answer your Q., ask for a referral as to who else may have the answer.
Don......

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I know to look in local history section and I know there's not going to be a book called local treasure legends. ( if there is awesome lol) Am I really just going to have to read a lot of revolutionary or civil war diaries etc just for a chance it might mention a lead or is there a better way?

neo,

Since you live in the South, you might find this book of interest: "Flight into Oblivion" by J.A. Hanna. You can find copies here:

Flight Into Oblivion - AbeBooks

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
In my experience the most reliable leads come from first and second party witnesses. In libraries
the county history section is where I would make a beeline for. I've found you may need to bring
a notebook because they do not leave the library.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
In my experience the most reliable leads come from first and second party witnesses. In libraries
the county history section is where I would make a beeline for. I've found you may need to bring
a notebook because they do not leave the library.

lastleg,

Agreed. That is where Hanna drew his sources from.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

O

Old Silver

History section of Library. But if you don't find anything in book form, you have another wealth of information in microfilm. Have your librarian to show you what they have in the way of old newspaper articles, etc., on microfilm. You will need two good eyes, or a good pair of glasses.

Treasure leads don't always come with the word treasure in the heading, or even in the article itself, though they sometimes do.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the library of Congress. AND of course that most important element Oro's sock coffee in the gallon size.

dece t  size coffee.jpg

J.A.A.

Sep 1, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Pro Pointer
I've started reading & enjoying sone of the books by W.C. Jameson. I've read on other forums that he may have a tendency to exaggerate some facts but, overall, his stories appear to be well researched and very well written IMHO.

Good luck-
J.A.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've started reading & enjoying sone of the books by W.C. Jameson. I've read on other forums that he may have a tendency to exaggerate some facts but, overall, his stories appear to be well researched and very well written IMHO.

Good luck-
J.A.

I find him very entertaining none the less a great story teller.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Research the genealogy of local families online, many times you will find diaries posted that contain eyewitness accounts of events past-then follow the leads.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ps --do not forget the old newspapers * unsolved bank robberies , train robberies , deaths of local well known miser types . moon shiners busted , dope sellers busted * many often got long jail terms and die in jail telling no one where they hid cash on their land **

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion here is to not worry so much about tracking down treasure leads that may be totally ficticious, but rather work towards smaller goals like just enjoying a day out hunting an old empty lot that once was occupied by some structure that you may see on your local Sanborn map. Treasures come in many forms, and often (at least for me) they can be as simple as a button, a bottle or an old square nail....depending on the context. Treasures will come if you are persistent and not have too high of expectations. Many begin in this hobby thinking that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow coil... and often get discouraged when there is none. Believe me, a few nice artifacts or coins will always keep you motivated to one day find your treasure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread