Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Like most metal detectorists, particularly on the sandy east and west coast beaches, you find just about everything imaginable over time. But, for me, the thing that nearly brings me to tears is when I find a large set of keys.

Key set.jpg

I recently found this set of 5 key-rings holding 9 keys of different shapes and sizes. Car key, motor cycle key, house keys, specialty keys. Just breaks my heart the thought of heart-ache caused by the loss of so many important keys. Just imagine, not being able to drive home! Once home, not able to open a door! Once in the house, not able to open the liquor cabinet! Now that would hurt.

It is obvious from the rust that the set of keys had been lost for some time. Having an identification tag with one's phone number would help return keys to the proper owner. Fat chance and keys continue to be lost by beach goers and found by Metal Detectorists. :laughing7:

On the upside, I recently found a Club car (golf cart) key; a Master. In other words, free golf cart on all my future golf outings. I might even charge my golf partner for his share of the cart. Now that is a key find that does bring tears to my eyes.

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there did that.Getting out of my boat I watched my keys go cur-plunk into 12ft. of water,and probably 2 ft of mud.Key ring had everything on it. Two houses,2 restaurants,3 cars. Called a scuba friend to dive.He came up covered in Black w/gunk.Called a locksmith . Cost a fortune .:(:(:(

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new car keys cost a fortune they have the fob and chip built into them.
Dealer item... not even a locksmith can get you on the road because of it.

I found keys and I feel the same as you. Most of them had been lost for quite sometime
Due to the “not a fresh drop”look

I had found some keys at a church and turned them in to the office may. Just maybe a parishioner would recognize them.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, found those many times but never found an abandoned car in the parking lot so everything must have worked out. :laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been there did that.Getting out of my boat I watched my keys go cur-plunk into 12ft. of water,and probably 2 ft of mud.Key ring had everything on it. Two houses,2 restaurants,3 cars. Called a scuba friend to dive.He came up covered in Black w/gunk.Called a locksmith . Cost a fortune .:(:(:(

Not sure if you have seen this product. It busts open floats up to the surface with a red marker. Had them or foam floaters on every keychain that went near water 20171231_175648.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keys keys the kingdom of keys. Too many in ones life, just to protect our stuff. 20171231_175526.jpg
These are extras not even the main everyday ones.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if you have seen this product. It busts open floats up to the surface with a red marker. Had them or foam floaters on every keychain that went near water View attachment 1532431

Yeah I know. the keys I lost were around 40 total.I would of needed a 2x4 to keep em afloat.And I did have a "key floater" on the boat key.:BangHead:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah I know. the keys I lost were around 40 total.I would of needed a 2x4 to keep em afloat.And I did have a "key floater" on the boat key.:BangHead:

Too many keys, like I said in the other post up.
I've started to separate the keys, truck/cap/cover, then the buildings go on another, then I leave the tractors/ATV keys in the switches hoping they'll disappear one day.:laughing7:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once dropped my keys at an airport parking lot and right down the storm drain! About 13 feet below the grate. I was able to round up airport maintenance people to lift the grate and they had a long grabber which saved the day. Sure glad it was not raining or SOL for me. Very luck that I was returning from a trip and not leaving.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once dropped my keys at an airport parking lot and right down the storm drain! About 13 feet below the grate. I was able to round up airport maintenance people to lift the grate and they had a long grabber which saved the day. Sure glad it was not raining or SOL for me. Very luck that I was returning from a trip and not leaving.

Glad you were able to retrieve your keys and Happy that maintenance was not gone for the day.

Good to see you post here. I’m enjoying the CTX you sold me thank you.

Cheers

C872D674-1EB0-4BB8-959C-F8E0314E17E9.jpeg

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once found a Mercedes-Benz fob in the beach wash I really felt sorry for whomever lost it as replacement cost can be in the $400-$500 range

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions