What can be expected?

S

Sandy

:roll: Hi,
I will soon be purchasing my first metal detector. I live in So. Illinois, and plan to search a site near my home. There was a civil war Camp Hardin, within about 1 mile of my home. What can I expect or hope to find? I will be completely new to this, so, don't have any idea on what to expect. I don't feel this site has ever been detected. I'm sure most people around here will think I am totally crazy for doing so, but I don't care, I think it will be fun! I can't seem to find any information about this camp, I have no idea how long the camp was used. If you have any idea on where I could find some information about it, please let me know, I think information could be helpful. Since I will be totally new on this adventure, any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. I will be an old NEWBIE!
Sandy

Upvote 0

tennessee jed

Mar 27, 2003
sandy if you know the area well,you should just go for it!try the areas you think would be good and if you do not find anything, try another one.discount by using your coil and nothing else!if there are relics there you will know it! its not that hard(if i can do it)but it is a lot of work ! ! good luck D

SharkHunter

Mar 20, 2003
Chesapeake Virginia
Try a search on GOOGLE.com

type in (diary camp hardin illinois) This might get you some info.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 15
  • WP_20150628_12_33_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150628_12_33_15_Pro.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
S

Sandy

Camp Hardin - Pulaski County, Illinois

Hi,
Thank you so much for the great input. I have been searching like crazy and cannot find anything on a Camp Hardin. Supposedly, the Camp was located in Pulaski County, Illinois, Villa Ridge, but I have learned in my searching that Villa Ridge, was once Valley Forge. I actually found a Valley Forge in my county on an 1860 Federal census, however, I found a muster roll with men from surrounding towns, but it mentions both Villa Ridge and Valley Forge, this confuses me even more, after reading that Valley Forge was first then the name was changed to Villa Ridge. So, I'm sure you can see why I can't come up with anything. I also learned that there was a large military camp 50 years older than Ft. Massac, which is located in Massac Co., Illinois. It was a home to 1,400 soldiers, about half of the U.S. Army at the time and the military band.. It was established about 1800. I don't think this place has actually been found. I also learned that there had been a French settlement about 1700, and it was a site of a buffalo tannery, and a fort on the lower Ohio River. I think I am in a great location for detecting. I'm trying to learn some of the local history, to be better prepared for when I get my new detector in the near future. If any of you have any idea, or find anything on this Camp Hardin, PLEASE fill me in. Thanks again! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions