What can I expect to possibly find?

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Got the green light finally to go detect my sisters church. There are 1700s gold mines along the wagon trail behind it on the property. It’s going to be developed in a year so that’s my window of opportunity. There was a gold rush in my area in 1790s. I wanted to know what kind of items would be around there. I don’t know if they actually found gold. What kind of tools or other items from workers would be more likely finds. I’m going to try to go in a two weeks if not sooner.

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
"A lot of iron tools. Most gold is too small for most detectors."

Then I guess the gold prayer would be something like "please put the gold next to other heavy metal objects please" 😉

Good luck. Sounds exciting to me.

vfm

OP
OP
Nathan W

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
"A lot of iron tools. Most gold is too small for most detectors."

Then I guess the gold prayer would be something like "please put the gold next to other heavy metal objects please" 😉

Good luck. Sounds exciting to me.

vfm
Haha, I don’t expect to find gold but maybe some relics dropped by workers. This is my oldest site 1790s that’s what I was curious what kind of early items would be there. I figured old iron but what else is possible

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many unknowns to give you a good answer.
Where is this, state and general part of the state?
What type of gold was mined there, placer or hardrock?
General time frame/years of the gold mining?
Is this a town site, or a mining camp site, or just in the general area of the gold mining?

Also what metal detector will you be using?

OP
OP
Nathan W

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Too many unknowns to give you a good answer.
Where is this, state and general part of the state?
What type of gold was mined there, placer or hardrock?
General time frame/years of the gold mining?
Is this a town site, or a mining camp site, or just in the general area of the gold mining?

Also what metal detector will you be using?
North Carolina, middle part. Were some mines near by that produced I know that much. Around 1790s . I have a fisher75 for now.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be more interested in the church yard picnic area than I would a worked out mine site.
look at the website " historical aerials" put in the address and see what it looked like years ago.

OP
OP
Nathan W

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
I'd be more interested in the church yard picnic area than I would a worked out mine site.
look at the website " historical aerials" put in the address and see what it looked like years ago.
I did that already, there are a few places I want to hit behind the church as well, also two wagon roads in the woods

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold hidden in matrix. If it beeps take it home.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the green light finally to go detect my sisters church. There are 1700s gold mines along the wagon trail behind it on the property. It’s going to be developed in a year so that’s my window of opportunity. There was a gold rush in my area in 1790s. I wanted to know what kind of items would be around there. I don’t know if they actually found gold. What kind of tools or other items from workers would be more likely finds. I’m going to try to go in a two weeks if not sooner.
Nathan I DO NOT think you should detect it YET !!! WAIT till I GET THERE and SHOW you HOW :) HEHEHE

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opps i forgot . Nathan please forward me the address in a private MSG :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions