Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You very much for your effort in identifying these coins. I really appreciate it. I'm also going to apply a lot of valuable advice considering coin conservation. By the way, how do you conservate silver coins that has no verdigri on it. Place in acetone bath or just clean with water?

To answer your questions in bold is kind of hard as the decision to use or not use Acetone certain Silver coins, mainly depends on the condition of each coin! However, I can see what appears to be the start of some verdigris on your' Silver coins and you want to stop or arrest this. Also, although some Silver coins may not show any signs of verdigris on them, contaminants still may be on them that could cause it to start and by using Acetone on them, it will rid the coin if these contaminants and thus stop any possible verdigris. The main thing to know, is that the Acetone will not harm Silver coins unless they are left in it too long and also, it will not change the toning on them. I have seen it lift or remove staining, dirt and grime but not true toning which you want to truly avoid on coins that have been circulated. You would also want to avoid removing the toning on uncirculated coins unless the toning is totally hideous and has no eye appeal or the coin has most or all of it's original Mint luster lying underneath the toning. Once you have given the Silver coins a light bath in the Acetone, make sure that you rinse them well with water, then pat dry with a soft towel and then place them in a protective holder such as a coin 2x2.

Frank

OP
OP
U

ubersoldat

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2015
Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You very much for your answers. They were a big help for me.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You are more than welcome! Although some folks who dig and/or collect coins may not always agree with the techniques/methods that I provide in answers to questions such as yours, I try to always give the best advice that I can on how to clean, conserve and preserve coins for the best outcome. While the techniques/methods will work on some coins, they may not work on others due to soil conditions of where they were found, contaminants that may have been present and length of time that they have been in the ground. Although by no means am I an expert, I have searched, researched and collected coins for some 42 years now and have not only experimented with many techniques/methods to clean, conserve and preserve coins but also listened to and watched many a Coin Dealer and Coin Expert when they talked about or actually went about the task of cleaning, conserving and preserving coins. In all those years, I have had many failures and also many successes and have learned all to well what can be used and what not to use!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

ubersoldat

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2015
Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again,

as I started cleaning the coins a few more questions poped up.
First, aproximately how long do I need to soak a coin in acetone and in olive oil? I believe it depends on a coin's condition but I would like to know the maximum time you would leave a coin in acetone or in olive oil.
Second, after I pick up my coin from olive oil do I need to rinse it with cold or warm water? I believe warm water may wash away the protective layer or am I wrong?

P.S. Concider the fact that I will be conserving mostly dug up coins so their codition is quite poor.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello again,

as I started cleaning the coins a few more questions poped up.
First, aproximately how long do I need to soak a coin in acetone and in olive oil? I believe it depends on a coin's condition but I would like to know the maximum time you would leave a coin in acetone or in olive oil.
Second, after I pick up my coin from olive oil do I need to rinse it with cold or warm water? I believe warm water may wash away the protective layer or am I wrong?

P.S. Concider the fact that I will be conserving mostly dug up coins so their codition is quite poor.

You should only leave the coins in Acetone for a few minutes at most! As far as a soak in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Mineral Oil is concerned, it really depends on the coin. Depending upon the extent of dirt, grime and/or crustation on a coin, it may only need to soak for a few days while others may have to soak for several months. You could remove a coin or multiple coins after a few days, clean with a green Rose Thorn, then determine if any or all need to soak longer if they still have dirt, grime and/or crustation on them that appears that it may come off with more time soaking. I have placed a few coins in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and actually forgot about them until 6 to 8 months later and once even longer. They suffered no ill effects in the soak with the exception of turning darker brown and actually came out in better condition due to soaking so long. Most often, no coin needs to soak that long as within a few months, you will know whether anymore dirt, grime and/or crustation is going to come off or not!

Frank

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your the man when it comes to coins!!!!! I don't think theirs a coin out their that you don't know of. Kind of makes me want to find something that will stump you. Maybe then you will switch pictures and get your butt out of bed!! Ha Ha. Great job!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread