pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll be honest, I bought my Manticore simply because it was there in front of me at Cabela's. I wanted to try out the 2d trace, so I bought it. Has it helped me find better relics? Simple answer is no. I bought a Deus 2 WS6 Master because I liked the ORX and wanted to give XP more of a look. Did it help me find better relics? Probably not. If you look to the left, you can see I own several detectors. I've only been detecting since January 2023.

I have a job that pays very well, allows me to pay all my bills and buy what I want while still putting money in savings. Not everyone can do that, I get it. But those of us that can buy the $1500 detector; will. IMHO, experience is what makes the detector, not price. I have little experience; I may swing right over "great" targets and not even know it. Because it sounded too choppy, I just walked on by. I've had signals that sounded great that turned out to be beer cans, not even the $1500 can help with that.

I guess my point is, experience will be the leading factor in what you find. Well, and a little luck!
Words well written
I yr and you have a stable of detectors just because you wanted to try them-and can afford them.
No problem there on that one.

The biggest factor with any machine is the time in on that machine.
100 hrs vs 1000hrs
A -100 hrs will give a person the basics.
1000+ hrs will give a person a lot more confidence to pass, or to dig.

Take the top end machines and learn those, and life will be good for the next 6-8 yrs.

Location helps regardless-if it's not there it won't be found.
(I can still dig a hunk of can slaw after nearly 55 yrs) :laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Deus II. I am at the age there is no sense in getting another machine. The site I dug my 2024 relics out of is so iron infested in a 100' x 100' square area there are probably 20,000 targets. I don't even TRY to ground balance it there. It was an iron forge, now almost 300 years old. Get what machine you want, have fun with it, find stuff.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take the top end machines and learn those, and life will be good for the next 6-8 yrs.

Location helps regardless-if it's not there it won't be found.
(I can still dig a hunk of can slaw after nearly 55 yrs) :laughing7:
Working on that. My M8 coil will arrive today for the Manticore. I've learned in the last couple months that the bigger coil isn't always better. I kick myself for getting the WS6 Master with the 11" coil. I should have bought the 9".

I've also learned that just because it's on an 1860 map, doesn't mean you'll find items from that time period.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, the metal detecting companies prey upon people who think they can buy their way into being a successful detectorist. Just like the companies that sell expensive softball bats or golf clubs. They're duping people into believing there's a short cut to success. Just not true. Anyone with a $200 metal detector can find the good stuff if they do research, hone their skills and pay their dues.
Well said !

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the Deus II. I am at the age there is no sense in getting another machine. The site I dug my 2024 relics out of is so iron infested in a 100' x 100' square area there are probably 20,000 targets. I don't even TRY to ground balance it there. It was an iron forge, now almost 300 years old. Get what machine you want, have fun with it, find stuff.
It gets to a point where the amount of targets are doing the teletype machine sound almost in the headphones.
Probably the most challenging sites one can detect as the old iron is well settled.

Personally it gets me to be challenging my own skills-can I get another keeper out of that iron.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Working on that. My M8 coil will arrive today for the Manticore. I've learned in the last couple months that the bigger coil isn't always better. I kick myself for getting the WS6 Master with the 11" coil. I should have bought the 9".

I've also learned that just because it's on an 1860 map, doesn't mean you'll find items from that time period.
I have the 9" and will not be getting anything larger. ( Smaller HF coil would be an my option)
Digging 12" targets is great, is there 14" targets :dontknow:
I have found many times where the sub mineral soils start-the finds kind of stop also.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 9" and will not be getting anything larger. ( Smaller HF coil would be an my option)
I have found many times where the sub mineral soils start-the finds kind of stop also.
I have a permission that I could never find anything older than the house (1972). However, it was a crop field for 200 years before the house was built. It wasn't till I put the 15"x17.5" coil on my Impact that I was able to get beyond 1972. I found 2 shotgun head stamps at 14" that were from the 1940's. Problem is, the weight of the Impact with that coil only gives me about 15 minutes of swing time before I have to stop. Although, relic mode on the WS6 master has been promising in that same yard. Nothing at 14", but I have since found some older memorials (1960's).

Last edited:

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just get tired of hearing that the AT Pro is obsolete and how it's an "entry level" metal detector. Most of my best finds over the years have been in places hunted to death by guys with the 1.5k or higher detectors. If they're so great, why did they miss half reales, seated dimes and even big coppers? Why is my $500 machine finding them, while their machines aren't detecting them?

Here's a perfect example. I made this list up a couple of years ago. These were all found at a very public park in Glocester, RI from 2015 to 2022. This park has been done to death. The whole area has been done to death because it was settled over 300 years ago and the Dorr Rebellion occured here. Lots of history in this town, so the detectorists come far and wide to hit it.

I've run into at least a dozen guys metal detecting here with all sorts of machines. CTX 3030's, Deus I and II, Nox 800 and so on. How could these guys miss all these great coins and relics, while my cheapo AT Pro found them? Either I'm the best metal detectorist in this state (very doubtful) or the metal detecting companies are full of you know what. These "high end" machines aren't getting the job done, so why spend so much for them? Just my take on it all...

View attachment 2143136
I'm sure the AT Pro is a good machine. Blossom is digging up the most awesome stuff with an AT detector, Nugget Noggin has sold thousands of AT detectors with videos of his great hunts. Lot's of other people are finding great stuff with AT's for sure. Just an observation on this post. This is a 7 year accumulation of finds, so surely over that time you have gone over the same ground more than once and found items that you with your own detector had missed. So I'm going to conclude that no matter how many 0's are in the price of any given detector, going over the same piece of ground repeatedly, with that detector, or any other detector either more or less expensive, will most likely produce items that were not found in previous searches by said detectors. BTW, over that 7 year period did you always use the same detector, the AT Pro?

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure, it depends on where you dig and what's been happening with that particular land.

I dug a couple (junk) on eclipse day with the 9" that were easily over 12" deep. Granted, one was huge (and still unidentified) but the other was a big ol' rusty nail. :thumbsup:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going over the same area any number of times, and finding what you missed before? You can bet your metal finder on a stick that truer words are seldom spoken. I have always said, "You just can't cover every square inch of planet earth". Well.....unless your working a parking strip with a six inch coil?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Going over the same area any number of times, and finding what you missed before? You can bet your metal finder on a stick that truer words are seldom spoken. I have always said, "You just can't cover every square inch of planet earth". Well.....unless your working a parking strip with a six inch coil?
My brother used to clean up with a White's Alaskan 4" coil on the straight rod.
Beat us many times and we had large coils.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, over that 7 year period did you always use the same detector, the AT Pro?

I may have used my Ace 250 in 2015. I don't remember exactly when I bought my AT Pro.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A $1500 detector stated almost in every post by you now has been inflated to $2000.

That very same model with the very same options is now selling on eBay for $500.

Show us those examples please.

Do your own leg work. Check out the sold listings on eBay. The Deus I is a $500 detector now.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have recorded everything every person has found.
I find this amazing

I have talked to every detectorist I've encountered there. They all loved to tell me what they've found, so yes, I do know what they've found at that spot. Or what they haven't found, actually. None of them thought it was a great spot and most seemed disappointed that it wasn't full of big coppers and big silver. My guess is the easy stuff was found a long time ago.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do your own leg work. Check out the sold listings on eBay. The Deus I is a $500 detector now.
Say something then you put a Deus l in the clarification.
That's why the query.
The Deus l has been around for years.

So I did the 🦵 work as instructed to do.

When was the XP Deus 1 released?
XP had the original model Deus in 2009, followed by four updates.

So it's like saying I saw a Garrett for sale on EBay for a $116.00.

Even on the sale forum here great looking ones have been sold for $500.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like I said, it depends in the options also.
That set up never was retailed out for $2000.
So you're filling up up the thread with cow floppy information.

Like I said you'll go to the otherside proclaiming the mid range is the detector.

Every high end detector that is bought is by weak, feeble, gullible purchasers.
(those are your words BTW)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have talked to every detectorist I've encountered there. They all loved to tell me what they've found, so yes, I do know what they've found at that spot. Or what they haven't found, actually. None of them thought it was a great spot and most seemed disappointed that it wasn't full of big coppers and big silver. My guess is the easy stuff was found a long time ago.
The old "Find anything?" story.

Nah, just trash and a few clad.
Meanwhile the keepers are kept close to the chest.
The oldest play in the book.

Not saying every guy stated that but a lot do as they don't want some other guy cutting their grass.

Though you didn't really say that you got all the list that was posted pre/between/post talking to the guys.

Like stated before home turf advantage.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old "Find anything?" story.

Nah, just trash and a few clad.
Meanwhile the keepers are kept close to the chest.
The oldest play in the book.

Not saying every guy stated that but a lot do as they don't want some other guy cutting their grass.

Though you didn't really say that you got all the list that was posted pre/between/post talking to the guys.

Like stated before home turf advantage.
Yup, I never tell anyone but my wife what I've found in the field. Jus t tell them when asked, trash and a couple pennies.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess you guys in Canada are more modest than the guys here in New England. Guys I run into can't wait to ask me what I've found so they can brag about all the better finds they claim to have found at the same spot. I agree that keeping a good spot secret is smart, but there's no point trying to do that when they're already at the spot! Unless they're incompetent at detecting, they know if a spot is good or if it stinks.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this subject. You're a grumpy old guy who thinks you know everything and I just like to debate and enjoy annoying people, so we'll never get along. Take care.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread