Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up getting this coin back in some change and noticed it was a wheat in amazing condition...until I saw the back.

Im sure it’s probably PMD but what the hell would make these marks? The gouges are the same patina if the coin so they aren’t fresh.

ADDFACF9-14FF-4570-A5F5-6FFFFB962B93.jpeg 155A8F25-BC8F-4A9B-8B50-647EC8B9CA99.jpeg

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if it's PMD. The rim looks pretty intact for that much damage.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a defective planchet, as though something were stuck to the steel roller press when the sheets of metal from which blanks were punched were fed through? Doesn't look like a normal lamination error but I'm not too experienced with them. Can you get an accurate weight for the coin? If it is a bit less than the 3.11g then I'd assume defective planchet of some sort, proper weight then it happened when struck (or is PMD, but doesn't look like it). Cool find!

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Struck through a foreign object, maybe large and thick glob of grease or something similar.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait for Frank, but it just looks like pmd to me.

Enamel, I gotta confess. First few times I read any of your comments I thought to myself, "this guy's full of himself." But, over the last couple years I've grown to respect your opinion. I've learned that you, like Frank, call 'em like you see 'em. Just Sayin'! Thanks for your insight.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enamel, I gotta confess. First few times I read any of your comments I thought to myself, "this guy's full of himself." But, over the last couple years I've grown to respect your opinion. I've learned that you, like Frank, call 'em like you see 'em. Just Sayin'! Thanks for your insight.

Thank you! Someone that gets me. I'm not trying to come across as condescending, it's just easy to look at the written word and see it multiple ways. Lots of times people ask "how did this happen " and quite frankly most times it's impossible to know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread