What depth difference between the 9 and 11 inch coils?

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What about in the medium trash, such as many old victorian style houses? Where does the coil selection change there for the depth hoped to gain from getting the 11"?

Somebody else will need to chime in here. Dont know the last time I hunted something other than a farm field. Never with my Deus. If not too trashy the 11" should be better.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I used the 9 inch coil all last year at low, moderate and infrequently trashy areas. I've been out a handful of times this year using predominantly the 11 inch coil. So far I've only hunted low to moderate trashy areas where good targets are no deeper than 7 inches (mostly 5-6 inches). I've found the 11 inch hits more solidly on those deeper good targets (wheaties, silver dimes, buttons, etc.) than the 9 inch....which I like. On the other hand, it's my opinion that because the 11 inch coil "sees" more ground at one time than the 9 inch, there's often more targets under the coil at one time than with the 9 inch. Because of that I'm forced to use a little caution and slow down to make sure that I'm separating the signals and not missing anything. I've taken to using the pinpoint mode during these times and even using the detuning function (pressing the pinpoint button a second or third time to really narrow the pinpoint which facilitates not only the separation, but the digging as well. In areas that have been hunted hard, co-located targets are sometimes all that remain, so this process is crucial in those areas. It's in these areas where I'd give up the strong hits from the 11 inch for the ease of separation of the 9 inch. But I if I were hunting parts of the country where desirable targets were for the most part 7+ inches, I'd use the 11 inch the majority of the time.

On a side note, using the 11 inch coil in the places I described in my neck-of-the-woods where good targets tend to be relatively shallow, I've found it's better to set TX to 1 versus 2 or 3 to avoid blasting the ground with too much energy--particularly when the soil is moist. I've found that TX-1 facilitates target separation better than 2 and 3 for the conditions I hunt. Using 3 really does confuse the equipment in the presence of many targets and makes separation more difficult.

Last edited:

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a side note, using the 11 inch coil in the places I described in my neck-of-the-woods where good targets tend to be relatively shallow, I've found it's better to set TX to 1 versus 2 or 3 to avoid blasting the ground with too much energy--particularly when the soil is moist. I've found that TX-1 facilitates target separation better than 2 and 3 for the conditions I hunt. Using 3 really does confuse the equipment in the presence of many targets and makes separation more difficult.

Interesting observation, thanks for sharing it. I will have to try experimenting with that since I am not sure that I have ever run with a TX of 1.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Interesting observation, thanks for sharing it. I will have to try experimenting with that since I am not sure that I have ever run with a TX of 1.

My disclaimer is: this line of thinking on my part only applies to relatively shallow targets...6 inches and less in my area.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had my Deus for 2 years now,and only with the 9 inch coil. I've never had a problem with depth! Today I hit a gold wedding ring at 14 inches. Depth depends a lot on the soil conditions too.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had one for about a week now.
The dealer I bought the deus and the ATX from would absolutely if he knew he has been selling the (relative) high end to El Padron.
I test new machines around the concrete public fire pits on Southern California beaches.
They are excellent test beds because people fight for them and ultimately drop lots and lots of clad around them every weekend while they smoke crack.
The primary fuel used in fire pits in places like Southern California is torn out demo lumber.
You can find it everywhere, because we like to constantly tear down and rebuild the same house over and over.
Besides, there really are no trees that have not been contrived to occupy specific locations, so unless you are trimming them, there is nothing to harvest.
Basically, unless you are coming from east county, traditional firewood is relatively scarce.

Torn out demo lumber is full of nails so the pits have a fifty year accumulation of metal garbage inside and all around them.

My point is that Ive have the 11" coil, have hunted for 15 hours and have been switching back and forth between factory settings 1, 4, and 9.

The Deus has 10 factory settings. Its really good on seperating clad, So much so that I have been succesfully targeting fire pits as primary locations for the entire week.
I have found lots and lots of clad that is absolutely invisible to a CTX around this amount of trash.

The CTX (Yeah, I have one of those too) doesn't come anywhere near it for this particular application, but I don't buy equiptment to collect change either, so we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread