What detectors do you use in middle Virginia in the red clay?

tb

Mar 24, 2005
In particular, Appomattox. My wife's father bought a house out there a few months ago. He's on 10 acres near the town itself. I took my Detector pro PI this weekend thinking I would be good. It went nuts on the normal settings. I played around with the frequency and tune quite a bit, but there was still heavy interference. Supposedly, PI's are supposed to handle it all. I might not know the machine well enough yet. This is the first land trip I've tried with it, normally it's all beach and water, no problems there. My backup is a BH IV, it didn't do much better. I dug down about 4 inches and hit a bunch of small broken up rocks. Are these hot rocks? Or is the combo of the soil and the rocks messing with the detector. I'm up for buying a decent land machine this summer because I think their property has some potential.

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
I live in central Va and yea its full of the infamous red clay. Sometimes I have to tune my machine (whites XLt) every fifty yards or so, mainly the sensativity.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:D In Central Virginia. ALSO... Lynchburg, Va. This red clay IS a BUMMER; been told it has VERY high IRON ratio, and WILL "throw "off" MDing. Depending on what you are looking for... wife is from Vera, Va. (NORTH of the "Surrender Ground" & "OLD" Appomattox), and YES! that RED ClLAY is a B....! >:(

OP
OP
T

tb

Mar 24, 2005
I was afraid of those answers. Next time I get back up there I'll have to spend some more time with the controls and try some different areas.

We stayed in Lynchburg Fri. and Sat. night, it looks like there are some great places to detect around the city.

Thanks for the answers and good luck,

troyx5

Nov 24, 2007
Ok I'll let you in on our little secret down here ;) . I'm down 460 a little bit in Dinwiddie County but I hut out your way sometimes. Yes some of the areas are highly mineralized as you have found out. Most of us who hunt the "hot stuff" use Whites MXT's with a DD coil or a Whites 5900 or the BLUE and GRAY. PM me if you need help using the MXT. I'm sure others will work but I KNOW for a fact the detectors I mentioned WILL FIND RELICS. :)

trevilians01

Greenie
Mar 9, 2007
I have used a Fisher CZ5 for years and dig up relics behind the guys with the Whites! I set it once before the hunt and only have to reset it a couple of times during the day. Go with a Fisher.

OP
OP
T

tb

Mar 24, 2005
How about price range?

That's good to hear about the Fisher. Hopefully some more users will post. It's nice to hear from the people that actually own the machine and know its ups and downs versus talking to the manufacturer. I was thinking about springing for another beach unit this summer, but now I think I'm leaning towards a better land machine than what I have. Probably in the $400-600 range. Will that range be enough to handle the soil out there? Or are we talking $800 and up?

sqzdog

Dec 28, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's TDI
I use a DFX and a Blue & Gray. I hunt Orange and Culpeper Counties.

troyx5

Nov 24, 2007
trevilians01 said:
I have used a Fisher CZ5 for years and dig up relics behind the guys with the Whites! I set it once before the hunt and only have to reset it a couple of times during the day. Go with a Fisher.

YES, On the other hand PLEASE us a Fisher. Save the relics for us to dig :) Nothing against a Fisher but it is quite funny some guy comes on there and puts the Whites down. It is 95% user not machine. The new F75 seems to be a nice machine. Go with whatcha know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread