What did the Catholic church do during the potato famin. (pop quiz)

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, i think the Catholic church could do little as Ireland was run by the invading Protestant English.

tinpan

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems that the potato famine would have effected the crops on the church's land just a bad as the rest of the farmers. With the government taking control of the land and the farmers being relegated to "surfs" and "sharecroppers", the only choice many had was to chunk it all and leave for America. The famine is the root reason for the very large Irish immigration surge to this country. My ancestors were from Ireland and Scotland.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Is this an anti-Catholic topic, a potato famine topic, or a pro-Irish topic, an open borders and screw the legal system topic, a pro-Illegal Mexican topic or a coming to America topic?

The famine pushed the Irish to America - no doubt about that. They were not accepted into society, thus gangs formed in Irish areas who were quickly recruited to guard the catholic churches during the Protestant riots (at least in NY & Boston). The Irish were stereotyped and slow to assimilate to main stream society... However - it was NOT ILLEGAL for them to be here - they arrived LEGALLY.

It's a political question through and through - maybe thats why your posts get killed, it's rife with potential problems outside of a political forum.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
mikeofaustin said:
Just wanted to test everyone's history lessons.

Edit: I'm really not trying to create an uproar... But simply, trying to create the understanding that we should love everyone, and learn from our past.

//but I realize that with my usual topics, this will probably be killed, so lets keep this civilized, Please.
Although the Cathloic church waited for the Goverment to provide releif, and the Goverment took a lazifair approch, I could not find any overt actions agaisnt the Irish people during the famine by the Cathloic church.

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
My history might be a bit off so please let me know if I'm wrong, but didn't the Irish immigrants make themselves at home in the mountains of the Carolinas and such. I thought the Irish and Scotts came over, weren't really accepted anywhere and found that the hills in the Carolinas (I think the appalachians and smoky mountains) sort-a reminded them of home, they felt comfortable there. They set up camp and stayed to themselves, it became their mountains. They later became what we today call hillbillys hence the names Hatfields and McCoys. They were recruited to help lay RR tracks when it went thru the mountains. After the gov't broke their stills and ways of life they started moving to the cities since their biggest source of income was shut down. Please let me know if I'm wrong or maybe I'm thinking of a different time frame.

K

Kentucky Kache

Tony66 said:
My history might be a bit off so please let me know if I'm wrong, but didn't the Irish immigrants make themselves at home in the mountains of the Carolinas and such. I thought the Irish and Scotts came over, weren't really accepted anywhere and found that the hills in the Carolinas (I think the appalachians and smoky mountains) sort-a reminded them of home, they felt comfortable there. They set up camp and stayed to themselves, it became their mountains. They later became what we today call hillbillys hence the names Hatfields and McCoys. They were recruited to help lay RR tracks when it went thru the mountains. After the gov't broke their stills and ways of life they started moving to the cities since their biggest source of income was shut down. Please let me know if I'm wrong or maybe I'm thinking of a different time frame.

You are correct. Even the folk/bluegrass music came from Ireland.

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Thanks Kentucky, I forgot about the music thay gave us. I've heard some of the music from that time on a show aboutthe culture, music, etc of "hillbillys". By todays standards (especially in country music) we judge by how good they sing and originally it was all about the story being told, it didn't matter how good you could sing.

S

stefen

Priests switched from tatter-tots to candy bars when approaching little boys.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
all joking aside,the potato famine changed world history forever. american history reflects the labor pool involved with western expansion being predomonitely irish and scottish.historical fiction can provide much insight, when the author has done bonafide background work.authoress taylor caldwell wrote an outstanding account, the captains and the kings, based upon true history.if you enjoy reading,you may read this one over and over.there are many parralells to todays situations.as history is bound to repeat itself,a study of the past can provide insight to the present and future.history would not read the same,had there been no potato famine.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Pius IX, Paul Cullen and Rome

In Rome, the rector of the Irish College, Paul Cullen, took many initiatives. Irish and British residents in Rome set up a committee to raise funds and Cullen's name is at the head of it. Pius IX, shocked by the Famine news, sent 1,000 Roman dollars to the Irish bishops in January 1847, an example followed by Cardinal Mai, the Secretary to the Congregation of the Index and Cardinal Fransoni, Secretary to the Congregation of Propaganda. Pius organized a triduum of prayer in the popular church of Sant' Andrea della Valle. On the first day the leader of the Liberal Catholics, the very eloquent Padre Gioacchino Ventura, who had great influence with Pius IX and was an ardent admirer of O'Connell, preached in Italian. On the second day, the Bishop of Montreal, where so many famine refugees were arriving, preached in French and, on the third day, Cullen preached in English.

The students and staff of the Irish College did without their dinner to raise money. The students at Propaganda College gave up the medals they had won. Cullen, wrote to his brother in Liverpool appealing to him to give what he could and asked his sister to auction a valuable cross she possessed, apparently a papal gift. The Romans responded generously. Diamonds, paintings, rings and gold watches poured into the Irish College. Two Romans, after hearing Ventura's sermon made an unusual gift--2,000 cubit palms of marble. A priest gave the silver buckles from his shoes, probably the only thing he had to spare, as Cullen remarked. In March, the Pope then took the unprecedented step of issuing an encyclical appealing to the whole Catholic world on behalf of the Famine victims. Bishops everywhere were asked to appoint three days for public prayers and "to exercise your charity in exhorting your people to contribute towards the relief of the Irish people." This appeal had a great impact throughout the Catholic world. French and Italian Catholics had raised money for Ireland but, with the Pope's appeal, the bishops throughout Europe made a more-spread appeal for funds. Belgium, the Netherlands, the German states, Austria and other European countries began to contribute money for relief. Subscriptions came from the capital of Tsarist Russia, St. Petersburg and from Instanbul, where the Sultan of Turkey, who was told of the Famine by his Irish physician, responded generously.

Catholic relief continued right up to 1850 and the L10 ($1,300 in today's money) Murray continued to send to priests in the most distressed areas, kept many alive. It was all the more necessary then because, at the end of 1847, Trevelyan decided that the distress was over which he repeated in February 1848. The effect was to close off charity. But the Famine was quite appalling again in the winter of 1848-9. Then, in 1849, the Society of Friends, after telling the government that the relief work was beyond the reach of private exertion, wound down the Society's heroic work. The Catholic relief continued right on up until 1850. It avoided the costs and delays of official relief, and does not appear to have been misused.

Side note, from my old home town...

Attachments

• Derry-tater.jpg
    Derry-tater.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 372

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
During the famine Ireland was still producing enough crops to feed itself several times over but the landlords were taking it away. I guess its a good thing, I wouldnt be here if not for the mass exodus. Who knows the Civil War may have turned out differently without fresh waves of immigrants and workers to supply the war machine. My GGG-Grandfather enlisted within 3 weeks of arriving in NYC in 1863 and i've read almost half of the 7th Cavalry in the Indian wars was Irish born. I have Irish and Scottish Catholic and Protestant in me so I cant put down either side though I was raised Catholic haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread