What did you do with your BEST & WORST garage sale finds?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, the best of 2016's finds seen in other Treasure Net postings, are still locked away....but with the "skills" and "bartering knowledge" I learned from this specific forum, I've learn to look farther for "unseen treasures". So, here's what I did with some of the rest of the garage sale finds and the profits they made.... :tongue3:

As I showed you in another post, I sold $554.00 in scrap brass and copper. Metals I found while looking around at both good and bad garage sales.... The profit from the scrapyard sale of the brass/copper scrap more than paid for the $250 of Sterling Silverware....which amounted to just over 42 Toz., and in current low $15.88 silver prices of $600-$700 in refined silver.

So, after paying for the silverware with the scrapyard's money, the remaining $300 balance went toward a brand new log splitter. .

I'm "funding" my current "wood splitter need" with the sale of a $30 carbon fiber mountain bicycle I bought at a moving sale and 13 days later sold on Craigslist for $250,.... and a few steel varmint traps for $56, a No. 80 Stanley scraper for $35, and still to another dealer with a mall booth, I sold a WWII helmet, three 1944 artillery shell casing, and two empty Rolex watch case/boxes for $255. That knocks it down to about $1,250.00. The remainder balance will be paid off with some Christmas money and our garage sale that's been on hold due to weather....

With large fallen trees with large trunks, that can be had for"free", they usually have hard to split twisted grain patterns, this splitter will make firewood out of 2 ft. diameter large rounds up to 30" long when other guys will walk away from such large tree trunks.

My splitter is seen in the log splitter video below:

Without this kind of "free money", from a hobby that can make your heart race, I'd never be able to afford a $3,000.00 log splitter!

What did you do with your finds and their profits?

Bill

Last edited:

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen to that markmopar! I really appreciate the sentiment of this thread though. I am planning on aiming higher this year, because realistically I don't see an upper limit to this hobby-turned-job if I actually treated it like a job (as opposed to something I can do to keep bills paid while I figure out what I should actually be doing). For right now I'm ok with having provided quite well for myself, two cats & one snake over the last year. And the money I get for my "bad" finds spends just as well as any other!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugg! I got so much crap to get rid of. I just don't have that same tenacity to sell like I did in the past. I guess if I get fired from work I'll have a resource to keep the cash flow going? ... Yeah, that's what I'll do. Just keep buying. Good thing is I've kept my purchases to a limit lately. Under valued vintage, pens, watches and gold & silver I'll never pass up and I don't mind holding that. But old motorcycles, game head mounts, Colman lamps, chain saws, vintage recurve bows, air rifles and what ever else? I horded things like that and really need to unload that kind of stuff.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did enough to keep a roof over my head and the internet on.
My freind is a Mopar mad scientist. He put this punched out 440 in his 2 ton dually service truck. It's a real thrill when you step on it. His hobby is building Mopar
motors.

Attachments

• IMG_20161102_122227919.jpg
    IMG_20161102_122227919.jpg
    968 KB · Views: 133

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
From my two best yard sales this year, nearly $3000 profit between the two....and actually I still have a few items, come to think of it, I was able to buy a factory fired only 1972 Colt Python with paperwork, accessories and in it's presentation box and three days later a 99% S&W Model 17 no dash from 1959. Both are grail guns of mine. The only downfall has been I haven't bought a revolver since.....nothing has sparked my interest.....I guess I have climbed the peak. LOL

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to sell am my finds from the GS. I like to use the money to pay those unexpected bills instead of my retirement. The day before Christmas my fan belt broke on my car. Cost $143 to have it fixed. Sold enough stuff at the flea market to almost pay for it. Would have made enough but had to pay the booth rent and buy lunch and split some of the money with my Brother in law on the items that sold from the Storage auction.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I edited my original posting and deleted the Titan 37 ton log splitter with side lift, model LS3730 . I found that this company advertised their splitter as having a 12 gallon hydraulic oil tank, but they tried to ship the same log splitter with a smaller 8 gallon tank. In delving into what they were doing it is apparent that they either didn't know which of their old-style inventory was shipped with the smaller tanks or they knew and shipped them anyway.... When the customer was not notified of the shipping of the back ordered wood splitter, it would appear at their address, and unknowingly the customer would sign for the delivery with the wrong smaller tank. Then, it was up to the customer to tell them..... Sound like someone you want to deal with? The company then said they would send a 12 gallon oil tank/axle assembly at no charge in the coming days....

I will not buy from Titan/palletforks company in the future. I'm awaiting my refund as the delivery was refused before being delivered and will be returned to their company..... Although more expensive, I since ordered the "Rugged Built" splitter, but feel the actual customer service is top-drawer and more trustworthy....but the splitter already has a 12 gallon hydraulic oil tank and higher grade 15hp LEFAN engine..... More garage sale profits will offset the difference....:tongue3:

FYI,
Bill

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell them lol just messing around here is what my garage sales have helped pay for
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484279855.095489.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484279922.698936.jpg then October 2015
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484279996.380377.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484280097.468984.jpg now January 2017 A complete frame off restoration it's been a challenge doing all the work myself

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread