What did you do with your gold prospecting equipment today?

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Simple question. This is a good place to share ideas and reviews. You bought a new piece of equipment. Let us know what you bought and how it worked. Does it need modification? Did it work as advertised? I will start and let you all know that i asked for a Gold Magic recovery system from Pro- Gold Prospecting right here in AZ as a X-mas gift. What did you do with your gold prospecting equipment today?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is similiar. I ran my miller table last weekend. Friday night. I got up Sat morning and just hooked the battery back up. After running for a while, I noticed that I wasn't spreading the material out very much and it was still flowing down the table. I think what happened is that the battery came back to life during the night, and it was just enough to speed the water up a smigden. Oh well, good thing I use a catch can. I learned the lesson to check flow every time I fire it up, not assume it is still good.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't loose your scoop or your pans when a simple mod will prevent it.

Drill a hole through the handle of the scoop or on the edge of a pan then run a cord through the hole tying a knot to secure it then at the other end of the cord fasten a carabiner. Now you can tether the pan or the scoop to a belt loop or bucket or whatever, and the carabiner makes it easy to attach or remove.

GG~

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't loose your scoop or your pans when a simple mod will prevent it.

Drill a hole through the handle of the scoop or on the edge of a pan then run a cord through the hole tying a knot to secure it then at the other end of the cord fasten a carabiner. Now you can tether the pan or the scoop to a belt loop or bucket or whatever, and the carabiner makes it easy to attach or remove.

GG~

All my pans and trowel already have holes and I've got some gnarly leather boot laces in the junk drawer. All I need is the carabiner. Thanks GG!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I used my crevasse tools to help fix the water heater. Would rather have been using them on the bedrock out at the claim. :(

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finalized my thoughts on the modification I am going to do to my homemade supersucker sniper gun that is made out of white PVC parts. #1 I built it before I ever started looking for gold and its a little to long for comfortable use so I am going to shorten it. #2 Next I am going to cut the body in half and cut the pull rod in half so the whole thing fits in my backpack (out of site). The pieces will be able to thread together when I get to where I am to use it ( kind of like a James Bond sniper rifle). #3 I am going to paint it in a pattern I like to call bedrock camo. When I get it done I will post some pics.

GM

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finalized my thoughts on the modification I am going to do to my homemade supersucker sniper gun that is made out of white PVC parts. #1 I built it before I ever started looking for gold and its a little to long for comfortable use so I am going to shorten it. #2 Next I am going to cut the body in half and cut the pull rod in half so the whole thing fits in my backpack (out of site). The pieces will be able to thread together when I get to where I am to use it ( kind of like a James Bond sniper rifle). #3 I am going to paint it in a pattern I like to call bedrock camo. When I get it done I will post some pics.

GM

Sounds cool Mojo, I would be happy to see it when finished! Great ideas, my big homemade sucker could sure use a camo paint job. It's about the size of a 50 cal and has a 3" suction chamber so hard to keep it out of sight, but I do keep it pointed at the ground at all times when in public lol. Works well and have recovered about 50 percent of the gold I've found with it. Anyway, sounds like a neat build, will be cool to see and hear about how it works! image.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got out with my bazooka prospector for an hour and grabbed some gold today. After dinner I cleaned the gold out of my cons so I'll be able to weigh it up in the morning when it's dry :) Feeling lucky!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope ya get a bucketful Kevin...:occasion14:

I sat and looked at my gear today, and then fiddled a bit
with my trommel so it's in perfect shape for the upcoming
season.

Couple days back I set up the Gold Cube to run in a recirculating
tub, and found that one of the new hoses I'd just bought at
Home Depot had a slit in it along with a few unnecessary holes.
This was not a good thing to have happen inside my shop..
sSig_aaarggh.gif~original

Got that mess cleaned up, changed the hose to just a single
6' piece and re-started the pump. Works like a champ, and washed
out all the soapy water left over from when I scrubbed the
vortex matting to remove any oils, etc. from manufacturing.

Can hardly wait to get this out to the local creek, and since it's
supposed to warm up tomorrow to nearly 50º I might have
a go at it in the afternoon. Snow from last weekend is melting off
well, and I'm hoping the creek banks have also thawed enough
that I can dig material. The spot I have in mind is not the best
gold producer, but hope to make up the difference in the amount
of material I'll be able to run. Trommel is set up to classify down
to 1/8th, but I don't have the spray bar built yet, meaning I have
to pour water over the drum while turning the handle...it's a PITA,
but doable.

If it turns into another crappy weather day I'll just be sitting at
here looking at it...lol

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I recieved my latest set of goodies from Doc. Two sets of UR mat. Got them installed in my little highbanker. They work great, just wish I had richer material to run....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Received my Bazooka Sniper in the mail so I'm dreaming of getting out in a few days. Happy daylight savings time has come as the extra hour of light means more time to prospect here in Denver where the parks all close at "dusk".

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Getting equipment ready to go out this Saturday. Included with the gear will be my newest build to be based back at the truck to clean the con from the Vac. Who all is getting out this weekend and where?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tell us how it is! Can't wait to here how it performs.
What size did you get Kevin? I could definitely use something like the 24" and it's not that expensive for what it can do.
I'm eager to see myself and will definitely share my perspective. Mine is the 30" as that is what fits in my car trunk ;-)

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got pump, hoses,nozzle, got valve,etc,etc,etc ordered from Keene this morning for my highbanker/dredge/dryland dredge. Hope to break it in next weekend...

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
can't wait to hear those results! Thinking of getting the 30" as well because it's portable.

The 30" Sniper does it's job well. Needs less water than the Prospector, can be shoveled directly into (although more slowly than the Prospector), and catches the gold well. Thumbs up.

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a plumber and operator on the dirt crew for the company I work for. Today like many others we were repairing a sewer line that had a gas service line and a water main running over our customers sewer where the repair needed to be made. Problem is, is that the locate company gives you of a lateral tolerance from 18" to 4 feet of their mark depending on size and profile of their line.
If I hit their line inside the paint/ their marks our company pays for necessary repairs. Which sucks because some of these high profile fiber lines cost $100,000.00 + per hour to fix. Anyway, I used my metal detector to find the gas service Line and the water main. I say I, but its my partner swinging it. It's actually kind of frustrating to watch him use it. It's a VLF and he'll be swinging it a foot above the dirt. No worries though, we found all our lines with no incident, made our repair, and moving on to the next 1

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lost a Jobe Scoop...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread