63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you have a good method of selling off the fines/flakes for jewellery pieces etc. you can do that. If not you can save it till you have enough for molding a small brick of gold and you get to decide how long you want to save the fines for what size brick. There is a post on T-net just recently about a prospector that did just that, cool looking brick just do not touch it till it has totally cooled.......63bkpkr

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can use it for decorative rock in your landscape.... other than that if it has any magnetite/hematite you could crush and roast to release any sulphides it might have.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pan it to 1/4, and then sometimes the +1/4 too. Gold can be encrusted in black and not look like gold or a piece of host rock may be viable but you could miss the gold attached to it in a quick scan. By panning it the weight of it will give it away. Anything that "acts funny" in the pan can be checked closer. This has proven successful for us many times. One guy I was working with almost through out a 2.2 dwt nugget because it was just heavy hematite! Scrapped it with a knife and the color was there

ratled

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pan it to check for any large pieces and then use it to fill low spots in my yard.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are talking about screening previously obtained concentrates then pan them. If you are just screening raw dirt to get minus material for feed for the cube then just forget about them or run a metal detector over them if you have one.

Good luck

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Angus Macgirk Alaskan Flare & Grub Stake
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene Highbanker/2.5" dredge with GH matting
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When panning cons at home, I usually throw this on, just to give me a little more chance of spotting anything I might miss.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multi-Power-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA/
41clz7xpHNL.jpg

I just pitch my 18 mesh and bigger stuff in the rocks in my yard and the 20 and smaller in my blue bowl cons to run through a sluice again later.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol....Last year when I did my 1st run at sluicing/panning at a creek I barely got past searching the 1/2 classifying stage. I must of looked at 1000nds of rocks and only wound up sluicing a couple buckets of material....Still was fun at least.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you haven't already done it, pull out the magnetics and discard them to your rose bed, they love the iron.
Throw all of the remaining oversize in the driveway, rake it out and run over it with a metal detector. A 1/8" nugget at 0" depth should make it freak out.
You can check a 5 gallon bucket before your beer gets warm.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When panning cons at home, I usually throw this on, just to give me a little more chance of spotting anything I might miss.

https://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Illuminated-Multi-Power-Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA/
View attachment 1402771

I just pitch my 18 mesh and bigger stuff in the rocks in my yard and the 20 and smaller in my blue bowl cons to run through a sluice again later.

Cool viewer, I think I'll get one.

Tossing +18? I hope you pan it first! I've found +18 gold in Denver and up near Fairplay. I'd hate to think you were tossing nuggets :)

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am only expecting (hoping) to find small flakes. I will be going through a gold cube and then further processing. What do you guys do with 1/8 and larger (other than visual inspection) if you are not really expecting to see nuggets?

Throw it on the ground and detect for nuggets. Alternatively fill the bottom of a plastic mining pan and run the pan over your detector coil, then toss on ground.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found enough black nuggets that everything gets panned.Only takes a few seconds.If it acts like gold scrape it with a knife and look.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search carefully............

If you don't look for big gold, you'll never find it.
Regardless of your area or local.

If we see piles of +1/8" around, we always re-run it.

You may only find one a year, but it will be mounted above you fireplace.
:)

1gggnugs.jpg

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread