What do folks mean when they say that the ATP=No AM mode?

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, just something that I keep seeing in various threads that (In My "NEWBNESS"[:tongue3:] to this hobby) I
don't quite understand yet.

If I'm running My ATP on "PRO" "ZERO" (With nothing discriminated out say).....how is that different from a "true"
ALL-METAL setting? I'm still learning so...anyone care to buy me a vowel? I only mention it because I see that THAT
(Not having a real AM mode) listed as a bad thing in some threads.

Thanks in advance for giving me a clue 8-)

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I read, even though the Pro is set to zero, it's still not a true all metal mode. The AT Gold has a true all metal mode if I remember correctly.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When running pro zero, set at zero, you will know if it iron. Grumbly, growly sounds. All other metals will be mostly clear signals, high or low sounding. Also you can use your iron audio. I only switch it on if I have a questionable target, but usually end up digging it anyway if it is a repeatable signal. I keep finding old pocket knives, traps, & other relics this way. I run my atp with settings at pro zero, iron disc at 30, auto ground balance minus 3-5 points manually. I think every atp machine is just a tad different, so you will have to experiment to see what works best for you. Once again, experience is the best way to learn it.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tread,
A (True) all metal mode would normally be a NON motion threshhold
based machine which the AT Pro is not. You need to swing the detector to pick up targets.
BUT in a sense it is all metal if running it with NO discrimination..
Pete

Hey folks, just something that I keep seeing in various threads that (In My "NEWBNESS"[:tongue3:] to this hobby) I
don't quite understand yet.

If I'm running My ATP on "PRO" "ZERO" (With nothing discriminated out say).....how is that different from a "true"
ALL-METAL setting? I'm still learning so...anyone care to buy me a vowel? I only mention it because I see that THAT
(Not having a real AM mode) listed as a bad thing in some threads.

Thanks in advance for giving me a clue 8-)

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tread,
A (True) all metal mode would normally be a NON motion threshhold
based machine which the AT Pro is not. You need to swing the detector to pick up targets.
BUT in a sense it is all metal if running it with NO discrimination..
Pete

Well put, Knightsquad!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Even though a vlf machine may be set up at zero scrim, it's still in some sort of scrim mode circuitry and will BEEP BEEP over the target. You need to break out of that and go into true all metal circuitry which is different. VLF all metal mode is a motion mode you gotta move the coil. It has zero scrim. The response is not a sharp BEEP BEEP BEEP, but a constant smooth whine "eeeeeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeee like blowing a whistle soft and increasing until its loud then letting off soft as it passes toward, over and away from the target, increasing then decreasing in both volume AND pitch. Loudest sound and highest pitch being over the center of the target. Audio-wise the functionality of all metal mode differs very little from pp mode. In pp mode you do not need to move the coil to get audio, but if you sway the coil back and forth over the target it will weeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeee the same as all metal. In pp if you hold steady over the target you will get a constant pitch hum without moving the coil weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. You cant do that in all metal if you hold still over a fridge it wont whisper. Holy crap! Its hard to describe tectin stuff.

Last edited:

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent examples; I wasn't about to try to explain this question, you guys did an excellent job doing so.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True all metal requires no movement of the coil. When you use something like the AT PRO in zero "pro mode," the returning field has to pass through filters to get the sound. You can't even determine the size of an object accurately. The AT Gold has zero motion as do other gold detectors and I know the Tesoro Outlaw has it too.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
True all metal requires no movement of the coil. When you use something like the AT PRO in zero "pro mode," the returning field has to pass through filters to get the sound. You can't even determine the size of an object accurately. The AT Gold has zero motion as do other gold detectors and I know the Tesoro Outlaw has it too.

Sandman the cz's have motion all metal autotune that requires coil motion I wonder if those are unique to the majority of all metal mode vlfs. The atpro does not have all metal but has proportional audio in pro mode and you can get a good idea of size and depth of targets ie you know if its coin size or can size and deep coins give the faintest beeps. The atgold has true all metal mode which is a motion mode like the cz's but the response is always midtone as with fisher autotune the frequency changes from low to high back to low going over the target, with a rather broad range of pitch like air raid sirens, very low to very high to very low its the best. All vlf machines have non motion all metal mode. It's called pinpoint mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
treadhead

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much everyone for cluing me in.

Really, you folks are a "gold mine" of information and I'm in your debt :notworthy:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though a vlf machine may be set up at zero scrim, it's still in some sort of scrim mode circuitry and will BEEP BEEP over the target. You need to break out of that and go into true all metal circuitry which is different. VLF all metal mode is a motion mode you gotta move the coil. It has zero scrim. The response is not a sharp BEEP BEEP BEEP, but a constant smooth whine "eeeeeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeee like blowing a whistle soft and increasing until its loud then letting off soft as it passes toward, over and away from the target, increasing then decreasing in both volume AND pitch. Loudest sound and highest pitch being over the center of the target. Audio-wise the functionality of all metal mode differs very little from pp mode. In pp mode you do not need to move the coil to get audio, but if you sway the coil back and forth over the target it will weeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEeeeee the same as all metal. In pp if you hold steady over the target you will get a constant pitch hum without moving the coil weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. You cant do that in all metal if you hold still over a fridge it wont whisper. Holy crap! Its hard to describe tectin stuff.
You think its hard to describe? You should try ciphering out what you just said...just kidding, you did a great job of explaining that.

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lemme' just say that iff'n ya had say.....the tesoro umax Eldorado, it has an all metal mode with a threshold hum that you can regulate the volume to a quiet hum that's just hearable, so you start swinging the coil and go over any metal the quiet threshold will waver noticably, telling you there is metal down there. If it is shallow the waver will be drasticlly louder.....if deep it'll be just a barely noticable increase in volume. You'll drive yourself crazy diggin' in that mode, but it is as deep as it gets!
My whites also has a all metal threshold based mode. I'm sure many others could tell you of other brands/models that do too. Hope this helps understand how it is used.
Paul of Penna

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions