What do I have? Clovis??????

SLIDER-in-KY

Sep 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these Clovis points? I've been told Clovis and I've been told Folsom points. Which is it???

B7E859B5-37D3-4363-A892-2FC6C04B7282_zpsuebtsvne.jpg

Upvote 0

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly paleo bifaces.

But the photos aren't clear enough to show fluted bases.

Of the three, the point I would most likely characterize as Clovis, is the lowest one in the photo.

A better picture of the lowest point would help... particularly with some side lighting

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few questions.

Where were they found?

Did you find them?

What are the materials?

I ask because for what may be Paleo pieces, which are at least 11,000 years old, they sure have an awful lot of hinge fractures still visible on them.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few questions.

Where were they found?

Did you find them?

What are the materials?

I ask because for what may be Paleo pieces, which are at least 11,000 years old, they sure have an awful lot of hinge fractures still visible on them.

Which would of course be possible if they were cached.

They've clearly been in the dirt.

Your question is a good one.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
If you found them, congrats.

If you bought them, get your money back. The knapping style, the hinges and stacks simply don't fit with any of the documented Clovis caches or really normal authentic Clovis points.

OP
OP
S

SLIDER-in-KY

Sep 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were found in KY. Purchased from a collector that was selling his collection because he's retiring and relocating.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of them are fluted... none of them have evidence of skilled overshot flaking.

therefore, not Clovis or Folsom

As for their authenticity, I'll leave that to others.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be quite skeptical. I swear they look freshly knapped. I don't see any dirt under the hinges but I'm looking on my phone.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to stand bold with my decision of these being modern reproductions. Not sure what style they were going for though, as others stated, knapping style, flake scars and not even flakes to call basal thinning, nonetheless flutes... Unless you paid just a few bucks for them, I'd go back and get your money back or if there is actually ancient points in the collection, trade back for those.... But, when there are reproductions sold as ancient, they are now known as fakes and and other desirable artifacts will be questioned too.... Bummer.... Btw, im a knapper of 20 years and an artifact collector for like 30... Bleh... That isnt what modern flint knappers should be doing... I feel a ramble coming on so, im gonna stop!! Haha...
Hope to see you come out on top with these!!!

jj358

Nov 14, 2014
eastern kentucky
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Could you show a side view of them, that will help. I've been hunting for close to 35 years and those just don't look right. Jmo

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Slider, it looks like the consensus is that they are modern repros. The hinge fractures and the flaking style are the biggest red flags on those. I hope you get your money back.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to go along with all the others on their call. If found down south in the dirt or creek they would have some hinging but not that much and it would depend on the type of stone. Also no matter where they would have come from there would be some dirt under the hinge, even if they were in a cache. Without having them in my hand to place under a microscope to tell the type of stone, my guess on the black ones are raw Novaculite from Arkansas. JMO

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be surprised how many old time collections have repros. They were faking points back in the 1930s here in AR.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread