what do u think??

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found these today wheeled and dealed to 285, they look very good iron deposits and all, he had lots more. do u think i did good
img1277059015757.jpg

img1277059015503.jpg

img1277059015300.jpg

img1277059014870.jpg

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I've got some doubts why any collector would sell either of those pieces for that price, let alone both for that price... Maybe you got lucky, but I'd definately get them checked out before you buy anymore from that seller.

The dovetail looks like it is made by someone who knew what they were doing, it has the right type of flaking and notching, but something about it just looks a bit off from the picture.

Joshua

ruffneck

Apr 3, 2009
Kansas
Detector(s) used
DFX/M6, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you! It would take a lot more than that to get me to part with those two.
I too would get them checked by an expert.. The flaking looks good, but that's some mighty
precision work at the bottom of the dove..

Sep 30, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Here is a couple of pieces that I have that have the Ohio Button base on them. notice how the base doesn't look like it flows in the same line as the tang edges, but the tangs seems to stop and then the base is indented in from them. Many doves, like the one in my last pic, the base and the tangs have similar lines that you can envision it looking like an oval shaped cache blade, or "un-notched". the button base is very distinctive to Ohio doves, and most good examples of them are Button based style doves. I'm not saying the piece is no good, but FR doves without the button base just makes me look harder at them. hope this helps, if not PM me. Scott - www.miamivalleyartifacts.com

Attachments

• DSC02281.JPG
    DSC02281.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC02745.JPG
    DSC02745.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 528
  • DSC04193.JPG
    DSC04193.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 517

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any history Trevma to go with the items? Hope they are everything you expected. Good luck with your new finds.
TnMtns

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
If they are good, you did very well acquiring those two for that price.

Every now and then there are some great deals to be had, so I hope it all works out for you.

Joel

shorelinesearcher

Mar 13, 2010
West Tn
Thanks miami, I can see what you are saying, The other unnotched piece could be a preform for a dove similar to the one he has simply by adding the notches. I know the shape is a little too oval, but I'm generalizing.

mike

OP
OP
trevmma

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks miami, how close are u to franklin lebanon. i would love to swing by and show u the peices. plus why are there holes by the iron deposits.

O

Ohioan

Some flint has these tiny holes, I have always thought they were some type of natural pitting like air pockets that formed within the flint. As for the iron staining couldn't that be from sediments settling within the holes as it laid in the ground for so long and stained it? I don't think you done very well myself . Buying and selling artifacts is just wrong. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread