spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I originally posted this in the book section, but that does not get too much traffic and I thought this was interesting to say the least.

I believe the most interesting nonfiction book I have read is was "The Dictionary of Misinformation". This was printed sometime in the mid 70's if I'm not mistaken. The book was chock full of little goodies on how sometimes what you learned in school wasn't always correct.

One question I had known from other reading was about the battle of the ironclads; the Monitor vs the Merrimack. I knew it was really the Monitor and the CSS Virginia. If I am not mistaken many textbooks still call it the Merrimack, but the Merrimack was salvaged and rebuilt and christened the Virginia.

Three examples that jump off the the top of my mind are the following. I know I had these wrong before I read the book. How many can you get right and do know have any facts of misinformation?

1- What color is royal purple?
2- Who invented the Steamboat?
3- What is "Big Ben".?

Answers below

1- Red
2- It wasn't Robert Fulton, that is for sure!! He just ran the first successful run in business.
3- It is the bell inside the clock!!

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to see some other posts of facts we take as gospel only to find they were wrong to begin with. It would be fun to see a list here and share misinformation.

S

stefen

I'm an old 21 year old
The Mercedes is paid for,
An honestly, its only a cold sore

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread