What do yall do with your significant others when you hunt?

handsoap

Feb 16, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do ya'll do with your significant others when you hunt?

I just started detecting fairly recently, and I usually go by myself, but tomorrow, my girlfriend of 3 years wants to head out in the field with me.

I'm heading to a place that is very large, somewhat remote, and abandoned, and have heard people say that it's kind of dangerous. Usually she likes to go out on hikes/runs by herself, but from what I'm hearing, it may not be a good for her at this place. Often, people don't even like going alone. (On a side note-- it is legal where I'm going. There's just a big homeless and copper-thieving problem).

I'm happy to have her along. She doesn't have an interest in MD'ing, but maybe I can try to get her into it. I'll definitely be packing in a chair for her to sit on while I dig, and I have a picnic planned for her when we're done (I'll only hunt from about 7am-11am or so.

So what do all of you people do with your significant others when they want to come?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Beach Pirate

Jan 24, 2014
Florida / Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - Stealth Sand Scoop - Gray Ghost Earphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get her a metal detector and a gun... If she's not into the hobby, then leave her home!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY GAL WILL ALWAYS COME TO THE BEACH WITH ME IF ITS WARM AND SUNNY
IN THE FIELD - SHE WILL COME NOW AND THEN - SHE'LL BRING HERE IPAD AND SOME BOOKS
AND I'LL USUALLY TAKE HER OUT TO LUNCH FOR GOING WITH ME - SHE IS MY PHOTOGRAPHER
FOR WHEN I NEED TO GET SHOTS OF ME

attachment.php

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hand her a spare detector if she was so inclined. If not, and she still wants to come along, knowing it could be a dangerous area, I'd tell her to stick fairly close and keep her eyes and ears open. If she has some firearm training, she gets to keep a spare gun too! If you're here in SoCal, tomorrow's going to be another warm one so bring plenty of water with you! A wide brimmed hat, sunglasses, and some sunscreen will be in order too.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my wife has "0" interest in going with me "outdoors" -she is the queen of indoor A/C and comfort --other than asking what did I find , when I get back -- she likes staying at home and sleeping on the weekend , when I hunt , fish , metal detect.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My other half also has no interest in MD'ing, he thinks I'm a nut (until I bring home the big one Lol!). He sleeps in Sunday mornings & I detect. On vacation we make sure there's something for each of us to do, cause if mama isn't happy NOBODY is happy. He only made that mistake once! Lol!
I envy the couples that share the hobby! There's places I can't detect alone, not pack'n any back up, just a detector digging tools, cell ph, and bad attitude if my detecting time gets cut short!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is a self employed workaholic ( owns a dog grooming salon) and I am retired. She is not interested in the detecting part, just claiming what she wants from the finds bag!!! Any way, I get to go as often as I want, and get no grief from her at all..........................love that girl!!!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get her out there, take the headphones off, and let her hear whats going on. She sees your excitement combined with the mystery of what that sound might be, and bam.....she will get the treasure hunting fever. GL.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From a MD pal of mine......

"So I said to the wife; 'get your coat on, its metal detecting time!'"

She replies; "am I coming with you then???:

"No" he says.... "I'm turning the F***** heating off" :laughing7:

metalhunt

Feb 21, 2014
Morris Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get her a metal detector, My wife goes out with me about 50% of the time and see is getting good at it too.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is more excited to go out MDing than I am most of the time. Seriously! She would go MDing anytime, anywhere, and it was with taking out my first detector when I was not home that got her started just after I bought it. Had to go buy me another detector and give her that one.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife is more excited to go out MDing than I am most of the time. Seriously! She would go MDing anytime, anywhere, and it was with taking out my first detector when I was not home that got her started just after I bought it. Had to go buy me another detector and give her that one.

Instant upgrade!

OP
OP
handsoap

handsoap

Feb 16, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So just to update everyone: she wanted to go last night, but when I was up this morning at 530 (she forgot about the time change) she didn't want to go, but ended up reluctantly coming along and having a good time. I bought her a nice little backpacking chair yesterday that's actually really comfortable and super portable, and I set her up in the shade with a good book. She had a very relaxing time. Since we live in a very crowded part of CA, it was really nice for her/us to be in an area where there might only be 2 people/sq mile.

Only my second time detecting, but in 4-5 hours, I ended up finding 3 old bullets (2 different bullets I've never seen before, and a large caliber complete bullet with shell that I've never seen before). ~40 cents in clad, and a 1936 S wheat penny! Very excited with my finds, and we both had an awesome day. I'll try to post a picture of my finds later on this evening in "Today's Finds."

Edit: Also, I was very glad to have her with me. Since we were in a kind of dangerous place, it was good having her "keep post" and be my eyes and ears. Even bought her some pepper spray.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is a jewel, because of health issues she always goes with me now, she will sit in the truck reading her books & listening to her music with a set of binos on the seat next to her so she can keep a close eye on me. Afterwards, we will go out to lunch or dinner at a place of her choice, after 25 years of military life and being away from her for extended periods of time we enjoy being together as much as possible.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gag mine and tie her up, when i get home i ask if she's hungry and when she nods yes i tell her to fix me a bite to eat. ..lol

Actually she encourages me to go out and hunt. She loves it that i keep busy and that i love the hobby.

Clayton Bardwell

Aug 17, 2013
Eastern Sierra
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife goes with me. She doesn't like to swing the detector, too many moving parts. She's in charge of the recovery tools. She digs! She does like the pin pointer. She says she finds the treasure. Lots of positives there.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I leave her at home and bring the dog. Im happy. wife happy, dog happy.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine will go and read books when land detecting or sit under the umbrella at the beach and keep cooler stocked. She tried it once and thought it was kind of stupid, but will follow me anywhere to watch my eyes light up when I find loot!!! After you marry her and raise 3-6 kids you'll be glad to get away by yourself often!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread