What do yall think of this guys youtube clip ?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There are rules and laws governing metal detecting trespass just as there are rules governing fishing and hunting.

Well, not always. There are not always laws saying either you "can" or "can't" metal detect. Most often, it is merely silent on the matter. So in that case, no, there is no "laws governing metal detecting". And in the absence of any prohibition, then presto, it's not prohibited. To simply go and detect in that case, then you've been within "the confines of the law". And to have looked it up and seen nothing saying "no detecting", IS to "know the laws". You can't be any more law-abiding than that, now can you?

And none of this needs to be construed as "go ask someone 'can I?' ". You can know all these things, and be within the realm of the law, by looking things up yourself.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just it.....most of the time there is no reference to "metal detecting" as such. Mostly it's vague rules about digging, harvesting, collecting, disturbing, etc, which can be interpreted in a number of ways by people with all sorts of agendas and whims of their own. Since it's unlikely we as metal detectorists are going to be welcomed with open arms and rules made in our favor, I'd just as soon keep it real vague rather than have a permit system or hard and fast rules against detecting. That just leads to more and more restrictions and/or costs.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes is is right--
Yes just go on line, say if you want to hunt in a state park EX. in michigan you can can hunt certain parks in only certain areas they will have a map too and some you cant hunt at all
These MAPs of places you can detect in state parks that allow metal detecting in Michigan mainly allow you to only detect in parking lots which are paved.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That figures......they're more than willing to give permission to areas they know you won't want to hunt just so they can say: "we haven't prevented you from enjoying your hobby. There are plenty of areas where we allow it" Like they're doing us a BIG favor by being so magnanimous. I bet if you started chipping through the asphalt they'd change their tune.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If it wasn't for all the lawyers, we wouldn't need all the lawyers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread