What do you consider your absolute BEST relic find ever?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 100_0451.JPG
    100_0451.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,500
  • 100_0451.JPG
    100_0451.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,471
Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Here's some of my better ones. Hard to say which is best, the large medieval monastic seal takes some beating. The rarest by far though, is the Roman silver ring with the inscription DEO TOT. This is the only complete example known with this inscription, only one other fragment as ever been found. When the fragment was found recently it was hailed as the first, I found my complete one 10 years previously (and reported it). TOT rings have been puzzling acedemics for decades (all other silver/bronze rings just have TOT inscribed on them). Who are what was TOT, some thought that TOT was a local Celtic god of a cult from Lincolnshire, around the 4th Century. Others didn't agree, so the argument went on for decades. Why is my ring special, simply because DEO in latin means roughly translated "to the god". So therfore DEO TOT means "to the god TOT". Problem solved by a guy with a metal detector :D

Robert.

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,287
  • tot ring 001.jpg
    tot ring 001.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,246
  • tot ring 002.jpg
    tot ring 002.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,247
  • tot ring 002.jpg
    tot ring 002.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,249
  • tot ring 001.jpg
    tot ring 001.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,249
  • finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,278

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
robfinds said:
Here's some of my better ones. Hard to say which is best, the large medieval monastic seal takes some beating. The rarest by far though, is the Roman silver ring with the inscription DEO TOT. This is the only complete example known with this inscription, only one other fragment as ever been found. When the fragment was found recently it was hailed as the first, I found my complete one 10 years previously (and reported it). TOT rings have been puzzling acedemics for decades (all other silver/bronze rings just have TOT inscribed on them). Who are what was TOT, some thought that TOT was a local Celtic god of a cult from Lincolnshire, around the 4th Century. Others didn't agree, so the argument went on for decades. Why is my ring special, simply because DEO in latin means roughly translated "to the god". So therfore DEO TOT means "to the god TOT". Problem solved by a guy with a metal detector :D

Robert.

That's pretty special Rob :icon_thumleft:

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:

Robert.

The Searcher magazine did a big article when the fragment was found. I've got it somewhere, I will post some pictures when I find it out. The full name of the Celtic god was Totatis.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:

Robert.

The Searcher magazine did a big article when the fragment was found. I've got it somewhere, I will post some pictures when I find it out. The full name of the Celtic god was Totatis.

Why the confusion when you found and recorded the complete one years before :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
:)

This is mine :P although I have been lucky enough to find 2 ancient Gold Rings :o I still consider this my Best Artifact(relic) find :)

SS

SS, for us unenlightened Americans, what would be the significance of your key find? Can you show us the two gold rings??

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Silver Searcher said:
:)

This is mine :P although I have been lucky enough to find 2 ancient Gold Rings :o I still consider this my Best Artifact(relic) find :)

SS

SS, for us unenlightened Americans, what would be the significance of your key find? Can you show us the two gold rings??
The key is rare in the fact that the desighn is proberbly unique, there was a good write up when I recorded it on the UKFD, this is the link to it. The two Gold Rings both made the Banner :)

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=13713&cat=233

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,251171.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,177320.html

SS

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very ornate late Anglo-Saxon casket key?

Fascinating my friend! :thumbsup:

I remember seeing the rings.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Very ornate late Anglo-Saxon casket key?

Fascinating my friend! :thumbsup:

I remember seeing the rings.
Thanks :icon_thumleft: good thread by the way, I can see it being very popular :o I will post some more later on of mine that are right up there on my best relic finds :icon_thumleft:

SS

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:

Robert.

Why the confusion when you found and recorded the complete one years before :icon_scratch:
Good question shaun ???

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:
shaun7 said:
robfinds said:

Robert.

Good question shaun ???

I bet someone got a bollakin for that :o

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rob....that Totaris ring is killer!!!!!

I feel like a stepchild :'(

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine would have to be this colonial shoe buckle still intact and whole.

2hoikht.jpg

35binmv.jpg

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This baggage claim that I dug late 2008. Didn't know what I had till I posted here at TN. My buddy knew it was something good, but having the patent date on it made it unique.
Carl

Attachments

• baggage11.jpg
    baggage11.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 1,005

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't really add mine, as its a Unique (to date) 6th Century (Migration period or dark age) Silver & Gold Plate relic named after my town (as it was the only one, so any future ones will be referred to mine). British Museum handed it back. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Plus with my research on it, I got the British Museum to re-write there report as they IDed it wrong.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been lucky enough to dig some nice old colonial relics and though digging stuff from the 1700's is my passion, my favorite relic is not from that era. I have been a lobsterman my whole life. Which is why this is my favorite relic. I couldnt tell you how old it is my guess would be 1930-1950 time frame, I have never scene another one like it and my Father who lobstered his whole life said the same. We still use these lobster measures today but they dont look like this one, the new ones are accurate machine made and have a measure on both sides, one for big lobsters one for small lobsters. This was one of the first of its kind, and a little piece of Maine history I hold dear to me.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 948

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread