What do you do with the the post wheat, pre 82 pennies?

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
Re: What do you do with the the post wheat, pre 82' pennies?

I put all my non-wheat copper Lincolns in a large water bottle. I just can't see spending them at face value when the metal content is @ twice that. Maybe it'll pay off for my kids or (future)grandkids.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not a bad idea, it does seem like a waste to just spend them.

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250

I guess I didn't notice in your first post when you asked if they were just good for face value. Here's a good site for determining the metal value of coins. At todays price, it looks like a copper cent is worth a little over 2.5 cents in metal content.

http://www.coinflation.com/coin_calculators.html

I'm not much on errors. Can't help you there.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool site, I was reading in another thread that said melting pennies wasn't legal. If it is legal, is it difficult to melt them? I've never tried anything like that.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree, wish my wife saw it that way.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II

You can also sell them on ebay. They go for double their value give or take

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wonder why that is?

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter

ha, who knows but if people are willing to buy them for 2x the value, take full advantage of it.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

so far, in my big blue water bottle has about 50 lbs of mixed pennies in it and I wouldn't give them up for anything
never know what the future holds.
I think I read some time ago that's its illegal to hoard pennies?
Your thoughts?

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

Attention T'Neter's !
Start separating those pennies.! Hoard ALL the pre 1982 copper pennies.
Actually the Mint switched from copper to zinc mid-year in 1982. So there are 2 varieties.
It's not worth the time to separate those, just wrap them up with all the other zinc and cash them in at the bank. They are trash as far as value.
The copper is worth two and a half times face value. Who knows what the future brings.
Not only did I go through my water bottle and saved all the copper and got rid of any zinc,
but I also started coin roll hunting for the coppers. Going through the rolls you can buy from your bank or at the local mart, will not only net you those good old coppers but will also find you quite a few Wheaties.
Let me tell you there is a trend happening, the copper is slowly disappearing from circulation.
Don't believe me?
Next time your at the deli ask for 10 pennies with your change, I'll bet you less than half are copper.
Informed people have already started hoarding and even melting them for a profit.
With the jump in copper and other precious metals, the pre 1982 penny will go the way of the pre-1964 silver. You will have to buy them at a coin shop or EBay.
In a few years the only thing our Metal Detectors will find are pull-tabs and zinc pennies, trust me.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My Fiancee' and I have about 40lbs of pennies in a moonshine type jar (with the thumb ring on it) and we are now going through and seperating them by year and when we are done we are going to check each one for defects and miss-prints, then we are going to roll them up according to the year. We have ALOT, I mean ALOT of 1982 back to 1939 so far. We haven't even gone through half the jar yet!!!!!! Still painstakingly working at it!

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

TheHarleyMan2 said:
My Fiancee' and I have about 40lbs of pennies in a moonshine type jar (with the thumb ring on it) and we are now going through and seperating them by year and when we are done we are going to check each one for defects and miss-prints, then we are going to roll them up according to the year. We have ALOT, I mean ALOT of 1982 back to 1939 so far. We haven't even gone through half the jar yet!!!!!! Still painstakingly working at it!

I did the same thing. I went out and bought about half a dozen coin board type albums and was able to assemble about 4 complete sets of every year and mint mark of mint state Memorial backs up to 2007. Figured I would put those away as keepsakes in case they're worth something in a hundred years. LOL
I also filled in a lot of empty holes for my wheat penny albums. I kept the copper and rolled up all the zinc for the bank. Boy it was painstaking work but I also found a zinc penny error worth about $100, so it was worth it.
Gotta tell you though, about 2/3 of it was all zinc.. Goes to show that the copper is disapearing.

Remember only half of the 1982's are copper. If you feel like going through the work of seperating them(I don't think it's worth it), but here's what you do. Either weigh them, the zinc is 2.5 grams and the copper is 3.1 grams approximately. Or you can hold each coin by the edges a few inches over a hard wood surface and drop it on it's face. The copper will go ping, the zinc will go thud.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, we are doing the ping test on our 1982's. Yes, it is PAINSTAKING! To top it off after hours of going through them our hands smell like copper!

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

TheHarleyMan2 said:
Yeah, we are doing the ping test on our 1982's. Yes, it is PAINSTAKING! To top it off after hours of going through them our hands smell like copper!

mmmmmmmm, copper, that's the smell of money my friend. ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My wife just see's worthless pennies?

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

cam9457 said:
My wife just see's worthless pennies?

Hide them from her. Whatever you do, don't let her cash them in before you go through them. There are probably lots of collectible wheaties in there as well as foreign pennies, and probably a valuable error penny. Hoard that copper away. Then take all the zinc to the bank and take wifey out to dinner with the money.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

well, I just took about 4 dollars worth of pre 82s out of circulation, just by going thru the grandkids saving fund. :icon_jokercolor: I did find 5 wheats along with that.

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dkw said:
I guess I didn't notice in your first post when you asked if they were just good for face value. Here's a good site for determining the metal value of coins. At todays price, it looks like a copper cent is worth a little over 2.5 cents in metal content.

http://www.coinflation.com/coin_calculators.html

I'm not much on errors. Can't help you there.
thank you for that link easy way to calculate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions