What do you do with your clad?

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What I do with mine is ... I clean with a tumbler what I get during a week end and save them in this little treasure chest ! :skullflag: :tchest: :skullflag: Thinking in filling the chest, hopefully I'll be able to in a year or two lol, there are about 900 coins in there atm and it barely adds up lol

What about you guys? Spends them? store them?

GL & HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I save them throughout the season. Mine get cleaned and separated and each type has it's own plastic coffee container. I roll them and deposit them in my hobby account in January. I use the cash for MD trips, upgrades, repairs, and other hobby related expenses. This account has PayPal attached to it. I have numerous printer drawers to display old toys, relics and other cool finds. I also have a lot of other finds that aren't great, but are old, I plan on making a collage with many of those pieces.

Coffee containers Q= Quarters D= Dimes N= Nickels etc
20151227_104712.jpg

My First display item, bought it for $20 at a yard sale.
20161027_195603.jpg

I am a coin shooter at heart so all my true treasures go into coin folders and flips for safe keeping. I also have a small simple 6 drawer (dresser looking) jewelry box, one drawer per year, 1st 3 filled (2014, 15, & 16).

Face value of coins dug per season

2014 $510
2015 $351
2016 $253 so far

It's a hobby that funds itself through your labors, I mean pleasurable times.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I save my clad till the end of the year, roll them up, and deposit to the bank...tumbling not at all necessary.

The fact that you included your favorite cervaza in the pic....solid.

OP
OP
M

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Thats a lot of coffee too Loco ! lol

And there is never a bad time for a cerveza BigWaveDave :D

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a lot of coffee too Loco ! lol

And there is never a bad time for a cerveza BigWaveDave :D

It sure is, we brew a pot every day. I am somewhat a cheap guy and like to re-purpose items if they fit the need.

I like your treasure chest :icon_thumright:

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Aus, our (what I guess)is clad, are the copper pennies & half pennies, 1 & 2c copper coins.
I have know idea what to do with them, I have about six kg, over 800 of the buggers. one day will probably sell them at copper price.

Also find a lot of $1 & $2 coins, these soon add up and I cash them in at the coin counter (at bank) I also sell all my post 1946 silver (50% silver) and use all the cash to buy gold and silver bullion.

I know I use more fuel then the value of my finds, but it all adds up after years of digging.

I like the treasure box idea

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor as heck so use what i can quarter wise at laundry mat... and gas, and turnpike fees for va hosp trips , rest save in cans /jars and hide them approx 300 bucks buried someplace if i can remember where ........

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Hey Loco_Digger I like your collage idea though I don't have anywhere enough or kewl junk for one as yet.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually take the little Starbucks coffee bottles and fill them & add in a few shiny dollars and halves. Take the labels off with acetone add a ribbon. Give them to the grandkids at Christmas. Kinda cool seeing them going through "the treasure" while the toys get played with later.

You can solder a loop of wire on the back of nickels and wha lah! you've got some cool unusual buttons. Actually got paid to make a set from old centavos.
eight cents + a little work = $35.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Loco_Digger I like your collage idea though I don't have anywhere enough or kewl junk for one as yet.

Yes I an going to pick up a cheap framed print from a yard sale or maybe a salvation army store, will probably paint over the print and then start hot gluing the relics on it. I think it will look good in my Office.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, I will use a tumbler during the winter months to clean my clad.
I opened an account with TD Bank because they had Penny Arcades. If you are 62 or older or maintain a $200. bank balance,, there is no charge. For everyone else there is an 8 % charge.
However, some homeless dude raised a stink, (no pun intended), about being shortchanged by the coin counters. He made so much noise, a newspaper reporter took up his cause. He picked 30 different banks that had machines. The reporter deposited $300.00 in coins in each. Every machine shortchanged him. One machine came up $30 short. This led to a lawsuit that forced TD bank to pull all their machines. I still use TD for my treasure finds deposits, but I now have to roll all my coins before depositing. They supply the coin rolls.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First few years I used to clean it, count it down to the last penny, separate the coins and at the end of the year cash it in.
Would give my young daughter everything but the quarters, we usually ended up with $100+ each.

Don't go through all that trouble anymore, just toss it in a jar and when it is full, throw it in a coinstar, jar holds about $90 when full and typically do that twice a season.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not turned any of my clad in yet but i will this December. I plan on using it to buy small silver bars.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread