What do you do with your finds?

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear fellow TH'ers,

In a research effort that I am conducting so that I can achieve a comprehensive list, I am gathering information on what TH'ers do with their finds. For example, what do you do with all the coins you find? Any input you can provide will greatly be appreciated. In time I will post the list here for all to see. I'm in the process of generating my own list now but all your thoughts & suggestions would be helpful & included on the list as well. The end results will be amazing to see, not to mention be very helpful & get others thinking.

I'll kick it off with a few things:

Roll up all the clad coins & take them to the bank.

Buy batteries, accessories, mags, books, etc.

Use findings to pay for trip expenses (gas, tolls, lodgiing, food, etc.)

Buy Christmas presents at the end of the year.

Take clad coins & use to buy gold & silver coins (numismatic investing).

These are just a few ideas & there are 100's more I'm sure. So lets have fun & get a super list going on all the things we can do with all the stuff we find. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Well "IF" I ever find anything of value the proceeds will go back into MD for a better detector and other things for the sport

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take all my clad tumble it clean enough that coin star will eat it an everything all goes right back into buying me new gear , detectors, pin pointers, batteries etc

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad go in a bucket till winter when I roll them up or I take them to coinstar. I give the coins to grandkids. Gold jewelry goes into butter tubs according to what I think Kt. is and the best ones are set into a display case. Just sold couple troy ounces of 14 kt. to Midwest Refineries for buying couple more detectors.

OP
OP
T

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for some input on what you do with your finds. However, I wouldn't recommend using those CoinStar machines as they are rigged up to rip you off. I get coin wrappers for free from the banks & I just roll my own coins. Then that way I'm not getting ripped off, I'm not being foolishly charged any fees & I know exactly how much coins I rolled. I strive for accuracy & more bang for the buck here. Besides, I'm not lazy, I enjoy rolling my own coins & it's a nice, fun past time. Why is everyone is such a hurry & rush these days is beyond me. And living here in NJ is getting crazier & more insane all the time. This here Piney countryman needs to get somewhere else where the pace of life is slower & where the folks are nicer. I'm a staunch believer that one needs to smel te roses along te way. I'm an admirer of the Amish people.

Anyway, I can't wait to tally up all my yearly finds. Although I didn't hunt as much as I would have liked to, I think I did pretty good as I found a lot of newer virgin places this year.

Remember...all that has been found so far from all the TH'ers & detectorist in the world is only a very small fraction of what has really been lost. This is my incentive & drive that keeps me going & looking for more. Also, factor in just how bad some detectorist are & that means even more treasure they didn't & can't find. Also, I wish people would learn how to properly dig holes & cover them up using the trap door method & technique.

Nuff said...fer now doods!

The Jersey Devil has spoken!

PS - MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR TOO!

Idaho hunter

Jan 2, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350- Ace250- 10X WORKHORSE - GARRETT PRO POINTER - Mighty AP digger
HI ALL

I tumble clean the coins and keep them in a coffee can until fall than take them to
the bank that has a coin counter that they don't charge for and found that the bank
counter took a lot more chewed up coins than coin star. For a few years I took all the
coins and gave them to my granddaughter until there were complaints that it took
too much effort to haul them to the bank so now I just use the money for christmas
gifts. a couple of years ago I was taking the coins to the bank -I had 2 coffee cans full
to the top- anyway one can fell to the grou nd and into the snow and I had to refind
some of them in the spring. This year I am buying my wife a new detector.
HH Idaho hunter

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My clad I keep until fall then I tumble it clean. Then I check each coin to make sure I do not get rid of any pennies before the 1982. I keep all copper pennies. Check the dimes and quarter to double check none is silver. I sell my clad either for detecting stuff or save to buy other coins with.
I bring all trash home and seperate here. Then at the end of the year when I sell my recyclables I also turn that in for extra cash. My other finds toy and other odd things I keep here in boxes.
Rings I have here in a ring case and as I need money I sell some off. I normally sell them at flea markets for higher then the gold price but cheaper then someone could get them for at the store.
Now I am saving up to buy some gold coins a $1 & a $2 1/2 piece. I want to find out how they ring up on the detectors that I have. So I know what not to pass up......Matt

B

Big1011Guy

I started Metal Detecting in April 2009 and I have said all along that I would make something out of all my Junk Finds at the End of the Year. Well, I have started My Construction Process and will be posting pictures of my Progress till finished.

11/23/09 - Picture of Bottle Top Clock using a variety of Bottle Tops that I Found while Metal Detecting in 2009.
11/24/09 Picture of how I am displaying the rest of the Bottle Tops, Pull Tabs and Pop-A-Tops I Found while Metal Detecting in 2009.
11/30/09 Here is a picture of the Statue I am in the Process of Making out of my Junk Finds. Of Course My Nosy Babies Had To Check It Out As Well. At Least none of my Babies lifted their leg and peeed on my Statue, I guess that's a good sign. Updated Pictures To Come ASAP.
The Keepers will be Displayed in a Riker Display Box.
The coins will be Tumbled, Dates Checked and then taken to coin star, probably
Guy

Attachments

• 2009 Trash to Treasures 006.JPG
    2009 Trash to Treasures 006.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 2009 Trash to Treasures 003.JPG
    2009 Trash to Treasures 003.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 2009 Trash to Treasures 006.JPG
    2009 Trash to Treasures 006.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 2009 Trash to Treasures 003.JPG
    2009 Trash to Treasures 003.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Trash To Treasures Statue 002.JPG
    Trash To Treasures Statue 002.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Trash To Treasures Statue 003.JPG
    Trash To Treasures Statue 003.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 237
  • Trash To Treasures Statue 005.JPG
    Trash To Treasures Statue 005.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 231

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Well let's see":

With clad, I roll and return the decent coins. I don't return ugly zincolns or dimes/quarters that have become heavily corroded. I think this gives MD's just as bad a name as leaving uncovered holes.

The following coins I put in coin flips then into a binder: all silver coins (including war nickels), indians, buffalos, V's and any other pre 1900 US or foreign coin

I have a jewelry box container for all gold and silver items

I then have a multi section plastic box (kind of a mix between a tackle box and container for nails/screws) for each MD season. I have a section for: each decade of wheats, pre 1960 Jeffersons, foreign coins, tokens, buttons, non precious jewelry, small toys and marbles, keys and keychains, pocket knives, watches... then I have several sections for random keeper finds... and one last big section for "interesting junk" and whatsits.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I take pictures of everything, save the clad until end of the year, then take it in and buy more equipment
gold and silver, I put in a special box for later. I separate out the rest of the stuff and recycle if possible

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread