What do you do with your jewelry finds? Other finds?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I see a lot of people keep years of jewelry finds. I assume many cash them in, too. I wanted to start this post to see why people hold on to jewelry, and coins for that matter.

Personally I hold onto my coins, relics, and Jewelry. I keep the coins and relics to collect them, and only sold a US cartridge box-plate for $200 which I since regret. I have gold rings, lockets, and pins but never sell them. I have over 2oz of gold just sitting in a drawer but feel uneasy selling it.

So what's everyone's thoughts on selling you finds?

Steve

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hold onto mine so far, they are my little treasures. Some things I'm less attached to than others, and I could sell those items if I needed the cash.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With coin: Spend the clad. Hoard the silver. Have not had the issue of what to do with a gold coin so far.

Rings & jewelry I give away, tuck in a finds box or add to my ring collection.
HPIM0149.jpg

So far I haven't sold anything I have found; but I do have a little box for the jewelry for either a "rainy day" or to eventually bury to pay forward part of my fun to some future detectorist.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Relics from a specific site I put together in a nice display case, labeled and give to the local historical society in said township(opens all sorts of doors and looks good for local metal detecting community). Silver coins I keep as none are really worth selling. Gold jewelry I sell and pay bills.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrappy,

I cash in the clad and I've sold some common silver coins.

The women's gold jewelry goes to my wife and I keep the men's jewelry.....but I guess if times got tough I'd be prepared to sell it.

Regards + HH

Bill

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm right with you brother,I sell NADA of my Au/Ag,and I never have to buy my Wife jewelry either:laughing7:

I've got boxes and boxes of relics,heh...no idea what I'm gonna do with them:tongue3:

GOD Bless

Chris

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Scrappy,

I cash in the clad and I've sold some common silver coins.

The women's gold jewelry goes to my wife and I keep the men's jewelry.....but I guess if times got tough I'd be prepared to sell it.

Regards + HH

Bill

Um...shouldn't that if be WHEN Bill?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrap, ( damaged ), gold jewelry I hold onto as long as I can. I usually find a reason to sell it though, like more detecting gear. ;)
But , I don't find much gold these days. Not cause I can't, I rarely search areas where jewelry is lost.
All silver coins are kept. Clad is simply a hassle and the areas I search don't have any.
I'm in the woods lookin' for silver n relics these days.
Keep stacking your finds.
GL
Peace ✌

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have so far held on to all my gold and silver, except for half a dozen or so returns. But I am getting ready to part with my gold earring collection. I had said I would save them until I got a matched set, which I did late last year, so the remainder are heading off to the refinery in a couple of weeks.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all my sliver because price is to low to sell...I keep my nice gold items and my wife takes the gold she likes...all the rest of the gold goes to ARA...I cash in my clad twice a year, June and December and we go to the Outback Steakhouse.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ARA all the way.....everything....my opinion is this.....many believe gold and silver are the hedge against a failed economy.... In my humble opinion.... Food will rule.... Land is the only REAL estate.....hmmmm they called it real?.....I won't be nawing on coins and jewelry..... God bless

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep all my sliver because price is to low to sell...I keep my nice gold items and my wife takes the gold she likes...all the rest of the gold goes to ARA...I cash in my clad twice a year, June and December and we go to the Outback Steakhouse.

Yup 24 oz. Porterhouse, garlic mashed and a bloomin onion..... Thanks God.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all my sliver because price is to low to sell

Same here. But if silver ever goes up to $40.00 an ounce, I'll be selling all my jewelry finds. Might be a long wait, though.

As for silver coins, they're off limits. Not going to sell them at any price.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's the saying of I have and I had which applies to the detecting finds. For the last 28 yrs I've kept everything and before that it was sold off and I wish I had some of the finds that I did have. No need to sell anything as it won't change anything really except the feeling of I wish I had it still.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My clad coins get cashed in to buy firearms. My wife has diamond rings for every day of the week, the rest is my treasure. When I croak, I want my kids to say OMG, our dad was a hoarder.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my clad and costume jewelry goes into a replica treasure chest .

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my finds as long as I can in the last 30 yrs I had to sell 3 times to paid some bills that come up. Wish I made more money then I do at my job but I was not that great in school so I have to do what I can.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those who have read my posts on this subject already know I am a seller,not a collector.I sell when I need the money,most often new equipment or a detecting trip,sometimes to pay bills.I sell my jewelry at the side of the road,never price it,and ask for reasonable offers.Its all tested..tagged..and test kit and scale on site.I always get more for it than I would ask and blow scrapping it out of the water.15 to 20 bucks for silver rings that wouldnt scrap for 4 bucks.gold the same,I get far better than scrap.
I have sold square nails and all manor of otherwise worthless items this way to crafty persons.I had an $800.00(ish)day last fall selling this way.

I have a few keepers not for sale but by and large I'm a treasure hunter and it aint treasure to me if it doesnt equal cash.just me.
cheers

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife' thinks it's time to get rid of some but I'm not ready my cellar and garage are getting a little cramped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread