What do you make of this Rock Sample

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
From looking at the rock sample below. Can anyone tell me more about what type of minerals make up this rock. I have several ideas but would like some input from some of you other prospectors out there. It comes from one of the lost mine of Pitt Lake search areas.

www.spindlequest.com/lostmine.html

samplerock.jpg

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like silver,maybe jim will see it .he is the silver man :headbang:

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
Hello Daryl, That rock looks like it has sulphides. Probably some sort of pyrite. Jimmygoat

chadrack

Sep 20, 2008
Quartz for the white, probably epidote for green, and the pyrite looking material could be a number of things, including calaverite or sylvanite. Iron stained in along shrinkage cracks after vein formation and oxidized. C

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Daryl, There may or may not be gold in your rock. You can send it in for assay or scroll down in this forum to (dealing with sulphides). Good luck. Jimmygoat

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
chadrack said:
Quartz for the white, probably epidote for green, and the pyrite looking material could be a number of things, including calaverite or sylvanite. Iron stained in along shrinkage cracks after vein formation and oxidized. C

Epidote looks right to me also. I think the silverish stuff could be Silver/Lead Telluride or Calaverite, but it doesn't really look like Calaverite as Calaverite usually has more colors involved.

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
I think I once heard that if you hit a piece of arsenopyrite with a hammer it gives off a garlic smell. Has anyone else heard this? Jimmygoat

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Daryl,

Daryl from the photo it looks like arsenopyrite (FeAsS). Color silver white to steel grey, streak greyish-black, orthorhombic crystals (matchbox shapes insofar as each of the three axis are different lengths). Often contains silver, cobalt, and sometimes gold...perhaps down to microscopic form. Hardness 5.5-6.0, its a typical sulfide as it is brittle. Nitric acid will dissolve it leaving a spongy sulfur mass. A sharp whack with a hammer and have a quick sniff...it'll give an unmistakable garlic odour.

The only common mineral that could be confused with it by looking at a photo would be galena. There is no mistaking these in real life, as they are distinctly different. The galena is heavier, brittle, but much softer at a hardness of roughly 2.5, has a more blued-grey look about it, has a frequently granular, but commonly cubic crystal form. A hammer blow to galena will not produce the garlic odour.

I don't have a arsenic photo but here is one of good cubic crystalline galena...Jim.

0.7 LB GALENA SPECIMEN.JPG

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quartzite, possibly with some Amphibole and a click of Pyrite. ;D
I got some very similar specimens. ;D

firebird21

Dec 28, 2008
If you think you have found a large enough deposit of this send a sample to Reed Laboratories in Carlsbad, California and get Test S-3 performed. This will give you a fire assay for gold and silver plus a complete analysis of everything else in the sample.
It might be worth $8 per ton or $800 per ton. Don't "eye say" this material, get a real analysis.
Jim

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
galena, i find it all the time and its usually loaded with silver and sometimes a little gold.

OP
OP
Daryl Friesen

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
I will let you all know when I finally get back to the area where it was found. In the meantime watch the following video. If you look at the pics at 1.47 in the video. This is the type of terrain where this sample was found. Anyway watch the vid and please tell me what you think.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread