What do you Prefer? Impaired Proof Clad Halves vs NIFC Clad Halves

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I love the S mint proofs personally but I only keep them if they are in AU condition. NIFC I keep the 87' and I keep clad from the eighties and early 90' that are AU. Just to fill up the folders. That is it and that is all.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I keep and prefer all the S mint proofs impaired or otherwise. Unless it is totally ruined from circulation. Smudges and discoloration to me is not really an issue.

I also have cherrypicked 1 roll of each NIFC Halves. and throw the rest back except the 1987's and 1970's Those I keep all that I find. ( I have only 3 1970D's and over 1 roll of each of the 87's))

Keeping all the S proof Halves is a small investment for coins that have very low mintage. They may not be worth much now but my Grandkids may be able to do something with them in the future.

I have pretty much a complete set of Clad proofs in pretty good shape. They would be considered impaired but most of that set are in near mint condition.

I have nearly $100 worth of Clad proofs (200) at this point in varying condition over the 4 years that I have been searching. In that time I probably have only threw a dozen of the worst ones back.

The NIFC's are just too common for me to keep all that I find. I have gotten boxes in the past that contained hundreds of NIFC's.

Mojo

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Philmont_709n2 said:
what does NIFC mean? and what are Impaired Proof Clad Halves?

NIFC = Not Intended For Circulation. Since 2001 the Fed only stamps enough Halves to satisfy the collecting community. Between 2.5. mil and 5 mil. they also did that in 1970 & 1987
these coins would have to have been purchased directly from the Fed. and you would have paid a premium. Some Dealers and collectors buy them cherrypick the finest examples and have them slabbed and toss the rest back into the wild.

An Impaired proof is a proof coin that has been removed from it's protective casings and found in circulation. Clad means coppr nickle layerd composition.

Mojo

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
coinmojo said:
Philmont_709n2 said:
what does NIFC mean? and what are Impaired Proof Clad Halves?

NIFC = Not Intended For Circulation. Since 2001 the Fed only stamps enough Halves to satisfy the collecting community. Between 2.5. mil and 5 mil. they also did that in 1970 & 1987
these coins would have to have been purchased directly from the Fed. and you would have paid a premium. Some Dealers and collectors buy them cherrypick the finest examples and have them slabbed and toss the rest back into the wild.

An Impaired proof is a proof coin that has been removed from it's protective casings and found in circulation. Clad means coppr nickle layerd composition.

Mojo

Good summary mojo.. One correction, NIFC began in 2002 (contrary to what some Red Books continue to say)

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep them all......everyone I find unless it is in really bad shape then it goes to the ole dump site. I will not benefit from these NIFC's but possibly my great grandchildren or their children.

It is my opinion that eventually somewhere down the line they will carry a premium just due to the low mintages. Plus the fact that I don't have very much out of pocket expense hoarding them. If it doesn't pan out....oh well.....it's a small no interest savings plan....lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread