What do you search through most?

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008
Pennies, mostly because you never get skunked on them and when I hand sort 4 boxes it keeps ne occupied for house, but the main reason is bc halfs are almost all skunks, I was doing a lot of dimes like a thosand at a tine but that takes 1 hour and then you havta turn them all in... Also pennies are cheap to do and I like to get as much money into the stock market as possible ( that's where the money is made, or as the last year lost)

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
I go with halves first, then dimes, then nickels, and on a rare occasion pennies. I find the best keepers with the halves. I don't quite understand the penny searchers. You do a box and find a few wheaties worth a few cents each. It can be fun, but I find them more as a change of pace or substitute. Dimes are not lucrative either, but I like finding the silver. Nickels are good for the occasion Buffalo or war nickel. It is all good, as they say. Good luck at whatever you search.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I search for clad halves. I get tons of them, and have never been skunked once. I don't want to brag but I've even obtained dream boxes that every roll was clad.
To me there is nothing more exciting than to open a box with several clad halves showing.
Next I like dime boxes. I search for post 1968 Canadian, and other Foreign coins from exotic lands and find plenty of them. I still have not found the 2009 tin Obama Gourd (new dime) but I'm still looking.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I search for clad halves. I get tons of them, and have never been skunked once. I don't want to brag but I've even obtained dream boxes that every roll was clad.
To me there is nothing more exciting than to open a box with several clad halves showing.
Next I like dime boxes. I search for post 1968 Canadian, and other Foreign coins from exotic lands and find plenty of them. I still have not found the 2009 tin Obama Gourd (new dime) but I'm still looking.
You the man Rich!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halves, nickels, cents. In that order. I don't do boxes of halves, but I do boxes of nicks and cents. Did one of each today. I keep any pre-60 nickels and any pre-70 cents. I just like the look of the 60's cents. I may start doing boxes of halves soon, but I haven't been getting much silver lately from the customer returned stuff.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next I like dime boxes. I search for post 1968 Canadian, and other Foreign coins from exotic lands and find plenty of them. I still have not found the 2009 tin Obama Gourd (new dime) but I'm still looking

We all strive to have the success Rich has had!! He puts in endless road trips, won't take no from a teller and will even allow his wrist to bend a little south (if you know what I mean) all in search of that elusive clad halve dollar.

I'm sure he is doing all for the little one in the picture. Wow, it just brings a beer to my mouth, what sacrifice. You sir, are pillar of our hobby, I Salute You with a 1975 "S" Half Dollar. Keep an eye for it in the mail.

PD

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Ok I'll be serious now.

I search halves mostly for the silver. Next in line are the dimes. Dimes are fun to search through. I like collecting them and finding them. My oldest finds are with the dimes. I also like finding the old Canadian dimes which in my experience are harder to find than Barbers.
Third in line are nickels. Once again they are fun to search through. I don't do many boxes or bags but plan on doing so in the winter.
Lastly I've searched quarters. Mostly by the bag,but I've done a couple of boxes and handrolls. I'm planning on doing more of these in the future.
Handrolls and bags.
Cents I have never tried but I enjoy reading the posts of the penny searchers. I'm always amazed with the IH finds. I'm very tempted to get a ryedale machine and do some bigtime penny searching. Just have to find the time

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
Halves.

Usually I dont ever look through anything else, once in a while dime, or quarters.

I usually only search halves.

-big-

sir

May 29, 2007
100 % cents. A while back i went through small amounts of nickels around 20 dollars at most per week but gradualy stopped. It wasen't because of low yield it was just that i didn't care much for them. Pennies are just very cheap and offer a greator yield compared to other demoninations. I would like to search halves but its far too expensive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread