Tedwnicol

Jan 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sons and I took a trip into California and somewhere over there ( I won't say where ) we found a water fall coming off of a mountain and about 4 feet to one side of the fall and about 15 feet almost straight up I found 5 dome head tacks with square shanks that were made around 1890 or so I was told. I had to climb those 15 feet with my metal detector because the mountain was almost straight up so there is NO trail. I found all 5 in a group and not spread out as you would think the rain and spring run off would do to objects on a steep area and especially over that amount of time. It was getting dark so I just scooped up the dirt in my hand and passed it in front of the detector and found that I had it and so then I climbed down and when we made it back to camp I seen that it was the tacks. NOT THINKING much at the time we left and have not gone back. MY QUESTION IS : WHAT do you think it could be from ( those square shank tacks ) and they were curled at the points , every one of them . Why would they be there?
[email protected]

It is hard to say without a picture. They could be horse shoe or oxen shoe nails. The very old 1700's rose head nails had heads that were sort of domed.

Upvote 0
I hope that it is something valuable like a stage coach safe box. I've seen pictures of some and the tacks looked like them but who knows. I just can't imagine why they would be that far up an almost straight up mountain wall if it were horse shoe tacks but who knows , you may be right. I am going to make the trip in two weeks to find out. but I thank you for your input friend. may your day and finds be of GREAT VALUE..... Ted Nicol

Upvote 0
Maybe,,, but why would the points be curled ? and if it is, then could there be a gun there and if that is true , could there be the bones of the person it belonged to ? What should I do then ?
Thanks for your input friend but I really really hope it is a strong box from a stage coach. Ted Nicol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The points mean they probably went through something.
The length should tell if it was wood or leather
What is the size?

Upvote 0
They are about 1/2" long curled. AS USUAL, my wife put them up somewhere and now I cant find them and she doesn't remember where. DARN IT !!!

Upvote 0
Hi Ted, good thought on the safe box. How awesome it would be to find something like that way up there. I can see your point where a horse would have a tough time up there unless it was part Billy Goat. Best of luck when you go back out there!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back