What do you think of this guys? It has worth?

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious AARC, but aren't bars "stamped" ? This has what appears to be "raised" lettering, would that be fairly normal ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious AARC, but aren't bars "stamped" ? This has what appears to be "raised" lettering, would that be fairly normal ?

Well with all the things that could be "on"... there are a few things that also seem "off" as well...

One being the shape... the other is the raised lettering... more so on the sides... when you think of removal from crucible this would "hinder" IMO.

BUT...

There were "start up" refiners all over the world... al of which made their own crucibles from scratch... all trying to "be different" than the other.

No 2 bars in those days from different guys were the exact same.

But yes raised,,, does sorta raise a "flag".

So... ?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome, Refresher. As a novelty item, a value of a few dollars. They are not the real deal. Ingots would not be cast with raised lettering, and all the side decorations. Also, pure gold does not tarnish.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, Refresher. As a novelty item, a value of a few dollars. They are not the real deal. Ingots would not be cast with raised lettering, and all the side decorations. Also, pure gold does not tarnish.

?

Wrong on both.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold DOES / CAN tarnish.. heh

I have seen gold look like this so many times I cannot even count.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
article-0-1D97004C00000578-706_964x643.jpg gold_bar_spoon_and_pewter_shaker_box.jpg SOP-AP-SPANA-SPAN-CA-_Ramí.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sunken-gold-coins.jpg untitled.png

Attachments

• millions-of-dollars-worth-of-spanish-gold-coins-found-in-shipwreck.jpg
    millions-of-dollars-worth-of-spanish-gold-coins-found-in-shipwreck.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 127

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the "cut" materials gold can and will discolor given the right elements and conditions.

We are looking at MAYBE GOLD... that would have been buried at or around the date stated on the bars / ingots.

Which would mean OR suggest that they have been in... god only knows what type of soil conditions... for close to OR over 100 years...

Containing god only knows what kind of "cut" to the gold.

This are crude casts... had they been perfect and did this same effect... then another "flag" would exist.

BUT...

For now... we shall assume the stars are aligned on this until we can disprove OR prove this one hell of a cool find regardless.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Errr last pic... heh

I said pure gold does not tarnish. The OP showed ingots stamped .9999. That would not tarnish. You showed .871 and .891 ingots, the alloy unknown, and a gold coin with rusty metal stuck to it, note the gold showing is not tarnished, a rough ingot with unknown alloy, a pile of gold coins that sat in the presence of rusting iron, which no doubt would rub off with your finger, and your last pic, a wad of silver coins, which we're not talking about. The alloys in impure gold will tarnish. Also, if one is pouring ingots, tell me how you would remove those shown by OP from a crucible. They would have had to be poured in a one time mold, the mold then destroyed to remove them. Not an expert here, but I looked at hundreds of images of ingots, and I didn't see any cast with raised doo-dad decorations, and none with the "patina" that you speak of. IMHO. Emphasis on the H.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on people...the guy is obviously trolling.
Who would mistake gold bars for stones?
They are marked “gold”. Do you think they have any value?
What kind of question is that?

Guy can figure out how to post to treasurenet, but can’t google the word “gold”?

Then he’s keeping it a secret by not posting to social media...
Couple days too late.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many pristine gold coins have a bronze discoloration. There is a name for it, which I cannot remember.
Most old gold bars were not refined. They were melted raw gold directly from the mines, or melted religious items and jewelry. They contained other metals such as lead and silver.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clay, I agree pure gold does not tarnish. However many bars were poured from raw gold, which is never pure.
I would expect those types to exhibit some oxidation or toning. Not that I think the ones pictured are necessarily real.
Brother has a half eagle that has a nice bronze to purple discoloration as seen in these pictures.
(Google “Toned Gold Coin”)
LMGTFY

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay, I agree pure gold does not tarnish. However many bars were poured from raw gold, which is never pure.
I would expect those types to exhibit some oxidation or toning. Not that I think the ones pictured are necessarily real.
Brother has a half eagle that has a nice bronze to purple discoloration as seen in these pictures.
(Google “Toned Gold Coin”)
LMGTFY

I wasn't writing about metals other than gold. Gold does not tarnish.

The bar presented by the original poster is marked 9999 AU yet it displays tarnish. Therefore it is not 9999 gold no matter what is cast on it's surface. It is quite simply a fake.

The only logical conclusion was stated in my reply:
Gold doesn't tarnish and bars are not poured with raised lettering. There is no reason to think these have any gold content.

Value? About the same as any other novelty plaster doorstop or paperweight.

If you would like to discuss the toning on your brother's half eagle that might make an interesting and instructive thread. I encourage you to start that thread if you wish. Heck I might even comment on that subject if I felt I had something to share. :thumbsup:

In the meantime the pictures of "gold" bars the original poster put up clearly are not what they pretend to be. I answered the original poster's two questions based on the information provided by that poster. I even provided an example of how one might determine the value of the pictured novelty items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread