Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i've been driving over this rock all summer, it was stuck in the road
the other day i picked it up and it 'almost looks like it could have been a hoe or a shovel but maybe i am way way off??? and just plain wrong??

the "working end" sure seems like it was percussion flaked and seems to have usage wear???

what d'ya think? do you think it's a leverite?

IMG_0432.jpg IMG_0433.jpg IMG_0434.jpg IMG_0438.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve wrote:

"well i am thinking that maybe it is a tool
the rock is not a flakable type and it reminds me of a type that when found in the SW part of the black hills of SD would usually have a few garnets embedded in it
i think i shoulda just left alone but learn so dang much here that i thought what the heck? no harm in asking?"

Well, in that case, garnets sometimes present, then it may be one of the metamorphic rock types sometimes used for tools, such as schist or gneiss. No, no harm in asking at all; it is a tool!

well i was thinking the same thing schist or gneiss family type except the two names just didn't come to me
at the site we occasionally find a celt made from that stuff but the quality was poor and they were not even worth picking up the better celts were made from a hard fine grained greenish color stone

back in the 70's when it was still fun to go to the sturgis rally we would ride through the black hills on our harleys and there was always a stream with trout along one side of the highway in the pine trees......
we could stop about anywhere and walk down the stream bank and it would be loaded with this type of rock or at least it looked like it.....and some of the rocks were just loaded with red garnets and most would have a few at least

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread