What do you think on this one?

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Atlantis- I don't know. My instinct, without looking anything up in a book or internet would say transitional paleo, resharpened perhaps a time or two. I do know I have seen that type before but it seems like it should be longer and I don't remember what it's called, somebody should chime in on this one though... looks like a nice find! It has a very distinct base... particulary if it's ground.....

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Atlantis...base looks like a St.Charles and they are usually longer like Cannonman said but it could be one used almost to exhaustion. Any point found digging in context is a great find.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Atlantis0077 said:
Afternoon,

Dug this point on a local lake. It was down several inches in what was the original hard pan. The base is ground and the sides are slightly slanted. It gives the appearance of having been worked down a bit. The point looks close to several, but not totally like any. What do you think on typology?

HH,

Atlantis
Nice one Atlantis,I,m not sure on type.I,ve been reading your posts for over a year now and didn,t comprehend this lake metod of yours till tonight. My son moved to Texas and told me about him and his buddy hunting lake shores when the water drops in Leon County TX.He has already found a few nice points. I,ll have to try it when I go to visit.
Jeff

rocky

Greenie
Nov 2, 2007
Nice one Atlantis,

Looks like a variation of a Howard County. They are found along the Sabine basin. I have seen a few similar points with perpindicular side notches and ground base that have steep beveling on resharpened edges.

The material looks like possibly Boone Chert, that would help to type it.

This is a good spring for surface hunting. Keep em coming.

ROCKY

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Atlantis0077 said:
Morning,

Glad to hear a little uncertainty on your part...thought I was losing my touch...lol Closest thing I could come to on it was a Cache River or Hickory Ridge...though not exactly like either.

Jeff, lake hunting is the best. Just walk the shores and pick up the bounty. Check where creeks enter or where there is high ground with good lake back wash. If you find gravel chances are you will find points. I am just now starting to get the hang of lake digging. There was a time when I would have said once the hard pan is exposed thats it for points.....not always. :wink: Only problem is that many are now wise to the ease at which points can be found around the shores of lakes....competition is fierce. Experience is your friend, but I must say that dumb luck is also at play in what is found.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis
Dumb Luck has played a part in all my finds.Agreat eye,knowing what to look for is all great but I consider myself lucky everytime I find one
Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread