What do you think this may be?

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok...I use google earth, but mostly for land. After recent readings about finding things in the ocean, thought I would give it a shot. :D

Off the coast of New Jersey, I found this....

39 degrees 04'15.65" N
71 degrees 28'41.34" W

Almost looks like someone was using some sort of equipment and riding the ocean floor...

Then scroll just a bit South East and you will see more....

Would love to know what ya'll think? Thanks...Annmarie

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
that is pretty strange.

I wonder if its just how the program is interpreting the landscape.

If you look you can see this phenomena all up and down of the continental shelf.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
BobinSouthVA said:
that is pretty strange.

I wonder if its just how the program is interpreting the landscape.

If you look you can see this phenomena all up and down of the continental shelf.

I saw that too...there is was more than one location. It almost looks like someone was running something across the ocean floor and it even follows the crevice in the Earth. I'm not familiar with what folks use in the water to scan the ocean's bottom, so I wasn't sure what to make of it. You can even see other areas where it looks like you can take the image and tear it....that I think is possibly the images and when they put them together...just a guess.

Some areas look faded, either a bad image or the sand has sifted over that area?? Not sure of that either. I just found that quite interesting.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just heard on the news, about the Atlantis find...well, Google Earth says those markings are from sonar...so I would suspect the images I thought curious in this post would be considered the same....so I guess this is solved :thumbsup: ;D

kool361

Nov 19, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV
Its just the imaging hasn't been completed for that region yet. The imaging for the Ocean is pretty recent so that's why it looks as if something has been drug through in a zig zag pattern on the bottom. Its kind of like when your your looking at land and some areas have greenery and others are more current and have trees with no leaves. It is most likely a trench that runs west to east. If you look at other aerial photos of the region you will see the trench. Its very obvious in other pictures as its the only one along the North American seaboard.

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
if youve ever seen how scallops are fished they drag a huge metal sifter through the bottom scooping up all the clams and such and the rest goes through big screens its not uncommon to see a scoop 15 feet wide weighing 5 tons beeing dragged

dtm

One mans trash...

Mar 29, 2009
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
From the Google Blog:

Posted by Walter Smith, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and David Sandwell, Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego

"So what is it? The scientific explanation is a bit less exotic, but we think it's still pretty interesting: these marks are what we call "ship tracks." You see, it's actually quite hard to measure the depth of the ocean. Sunlight, lasers, and other electromagnetic radiation can travel less than 100 feet below the surface, yet the typical depth in the ocean is more than two and a half miles. Sound waves are more effective. By measuring the time it takes for sound to travel from a ship to the sea floor and back, you can get an idea of how far away the sea floor is. Since this process — known as echosounding — only maps a strip of the sea floor under the ship, the maps it produces often show the path the ship took, hence the "ship tracks." In this case, the soundings produced by a ship are also about 1% deeper than the data we have in surrounding areas — likely an error — making the tracks stand out more."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread