What do you think?

Louherz

Jan 4, 2013
Fort Knox, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I found this fossil while home for the holidaysI was walking a creek on my Brother-in-law's property just north of Cincinnati, OH. I first thought that it was a cephalopod fossil since most of the fossils that I find are marine fossils. What do you think?Thank you,

Louis
Thoughts.jpg
Fossil 1.jpg Fossil 2.jpg Fossil 3.jpg Fossil 4.jpg Fossil 5.jpg .

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Hello All,

I found this fossil while home for the holidaysI was walking a creek on my Brother-in-law's property just north of Cincinnati, OH. I first thought that it was a cephalopod fossil since most of the fossils that I find are marine fossils. What do you think?Thank you,

Louis

View attachment 721205 View attachment 721206 .

That is unusual. It appears to be an internal cast, perhaps of some sort of burrow . . . in other words, an ichnofossil. That is suggested by the small shell fragments imbedded in the material at the wide end of the object. I can't imagine the creature that might have made the burrow.

The other possibility is that the creature was relatively durable and was suddenly buried. Over time the organic elements (along with the shell, if any) may have dissolved away within the hardening matrix. The void in the matrix was later exposed and filled in with shell hash.

Any other guesses?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread