Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
The first coin I hit with it had this big nasty fresh scratch across the face so I never used it again. As I recall it was a nice big silver coin like a Barber or something. Anyway, it took all notions of probes out of me forever.

Since brass is softer than silver, how in the world did you manage to scratch the silver like that (just how hard were you "probing")? I've been using a probe and/or screwdriver since I saw just how badly plugging scars a lawn in the summer, and have hardly ever noticed any fresh damage (but then again, back when I was doing this on a more regular basis, I could usually touch the coin on the first or second probe down to about five inches or so).

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Since brass is softer than silver

I think I need to correct myself. I don't know if brass is softer than the silver alloy (90% silver) that pre-64 US coins were made from, but I did find out that pure silver is softer than pure copper. I didn't know that, and if I hadn't read it myself I wouldn't have believed it. However, I stand by my post that PROPER use of a probe will not damage coins.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use my brass probe to try to ID or find a target in a trashy area. With the probe I can get a good idea of the target size, depth, and possible ID. Then I would dig a good target and possibly use the pinpointer. A dull crackle, thwack or crunch usually means can and I no dig.

Ed D.

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use one. I had a nice brass unit for years and never much used it. Sold it off in a package detector deal a year or so ago.

Now the electronic pinpointers that's a different story. I find them to be a great extra to have with you.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread