What do you use when the dirt is REALLY hard to dig?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With how dry and hot it's been here lately the ground is getting ridiculous. I hunted for about 8 hours yesterday and for a little bit today and the ground is so hard that my right hand is killing me. I've always used a blunt-nosed hand spade from Lowes...and anytime I find something new to use it's always because the handle has broken off or the blade gets bent. So far I've had this one the longest of anything and it's holding up well, but I'm wondering if there is something better for tough ground.

Upvote 0

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ever tried a small pickaxe?

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those big made in china knives i find at yard sales work ok

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mostly do door-knocking and I can just imagine what the reaction would be if a homeowner saw me in their yard with a small pickaxe...lol. How does a lesche do in that type of dirt?

Silversurfer79

Dec 24, 2013
Southern, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hori hori knife that works pretty well on tough ground. Tough as nails too!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy a Sampson metal detector shovel from wwmfg.com...
This is a must have tool.
The is a Walter Lesche tool... The best..
They are like $63 on eBay
Best thing I bought... It cuts perfect plugs...
Its like 5x7" blade...
You can did a plug in seconds and find more treasure...
And your hand wont hurt :-)

Gary from Oregon

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only hunt in the water or in a park that frequently waters the grass when it gets hot and dry like this. Otherwise the ground is too hard and you will kill grass by digging in it.

In the summer rain storms are your best friend. When it rains I am usually out ASAP hunting.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the really hard stuff is hard to describe to a lot of people, the palms of my hands get really sore from spending 20 minutes trying to get six inches deep in the concrete like ground around my home area, there is no cutting plugs here, makes you nervous about the old coins as you claw and scrape every sliver of this stuff out. But then, when you actually get to dig in real dirt....oh yeah! spent 20 minutes one time only to find out it was a rusty screw LOL. But when you are new and trying hard to learn as much as you can with limited access to ground to detect, you detect where you can. good luck

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Lesche 18" Sampson with a T- Handle works great in hard dirt!
With RustyGold on this one (although I use the longer one). I know it looks intimidating to hit a yard with it, but will make about as neat a plug as anything else I have used. I usually try to show the home owner how I do it if they seem concerned. Nice yard and hard ground will call for a touch up on the edges from time to time. Easily done with a hand grinder. The Sampson stays pretty sharp and works great ........ worth the bucks.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever tried a small pickaxe?

A Small Pickaxe is what I used to use too. Sometimes its the only thing to break thru this dry Texas soil.

I know exactly what you are talkign about thou. I was detecting yesterday and had to give up on a couple deeper targets, because my Lesche wouldnt barely scrap the surface. Plus in 100+ temps...my patience was a little low

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Lesche 18" Sampson with a T- Handle works great in hard dirt!

I dont know...I know my hunting buddy was using one , and even with it sharp as hell, it barely touches the dry Clay we have here...I'm sure all soils are different. But it felt like we were digging in bedrock

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When conditions are hot and dry, I pull out my water machine and hit the river beaches in the area or stick with well watered parks etc. When all that fails I wait for the fall rains.
luvsdux

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the ground is dry and hard I switch over to the beach and detect the sand and water. When we get a good rain then I will hit the yards again for a few days. I would hate myself for digging in people yard when the ground is hard and dry and the grass will die because I had to chisel out my find. So hit the sand or hit up some tot lots plenty of change and jewelry to be found there.

S

stefen

With how dry and hot it's been here lately the ground is getting ridiculous. I hunted for about 8 hours yesterday and for a little bit today and the ground is so hard that my right hand is killing me. I've always used a blunt-nosed hand spade from Lowes...and anytime I find something new to use it's always because the handle has broken off or the blade gets bent. So far I've had this one the longest of anything and it's holding up well, but I'm wondering if there is something better for tough ground.

BACKHOE

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Check out the A M Leonard site. they cater to professional and have reasonable prices for quality tools.
Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just joined the hori hori club today and for the price you got to check them out, excellent tools. Wish i had of known about em long ago since i garden too

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I swear by my old, US military issue folding Army shovel. That thing is SO strong. I've had it for over thirty years.

I actually broke the wooden handle in half about 15 years ago (but the shovel part didn't budge one bit). As it turns out, it's now the perfect length to fit into my small backpack and perfect for ANY digging. I have NEVER encountered a rock that it cannot handle and I always bring it along for tough rocks.

If they're good enough to dig foxholes and trenches anywhere in the world they're more than suitable for metal detecting under any conditions.

Ironically, where I am I'm having the opposite problem over the last few days. We've had lots of rain and I'm running into mud lately.

Oh, one more thing. I also bought a cutting tool made by Ames at home depot. It's very similar (practically a knock-off) to the Fiskars digging knife (which is actually what i was looking for at the time but they didn't carry it and I had already been to two other stores). I don't have the money to blow on something better right now but this thing cuts a plug perfectly and it's really tough. It cost me a whopping 10 bucks.

But again, I prefer my US "D" shaped folding shovel over a spade any day under dry conditions. The newer ones are a bit different than mine, which came with a really hard wooden handle. They have a large, triangular handle at the top of the shaft and I believe they fold in three sections as opposed to two.

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Military-Original-E-Tool-Entrenching-Shovel/dp/B004SOPJG4

Using a spade is just too much work when it's dry. You need to bring a sledge hammer along to drive the thing into the ground.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread