What do You Want on your 'Zooka?

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russau - I would think feed rate could easily controlled by pump throttle...yes I know more power, more suction...Since this is used in a shallow water configuration maximum suction probably isn’t necessary.

I would be interested in collaborating with someone that would do the testing, documenting and tweaking. It is hard to design and test when you have day to day business operations to deal with. I’m also trying to get our stands completed and back in stock.

I’ll throw this out - I would do the metal bending/fab and provide a free Expedition for testing if someone is interested. PM is good

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Russau - I would think feed rate could easily controlled by pump throttle...yes I know more power, more suction...Since this is used in a shallow water configuration maximum suction probably isn’t necessary.

I would be interested in collaborating with someone that would do the testing, documenting and tweaking. It is hard to design and test when you have day to day business operations to deal with. I’m also trying to get our stands completed and back in stock.

I’ll throw this out - I would do the metal bending/fab and provide a free Expedition for testing if someone is interested. PM is good

Go for this folks! I’ve worked with Kevin B testing prototypes before. He’s good to work with and takes suggestions well. Wish I could volunteer this time but everything that comes up right now gets the “I just gotta get my book done!” answer.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
While Kevin is busy with other projects I'm getting started with some ideas for his setup. BUT until I get some measurements on his stand and sluice , I cant finalize anything. BUT it will be attached to his stand for mounting points to keep the current owners of this able to simply set it up and NOT needing any extra. This ought to keep current owners happy and the setup will be quick-n-ez! I don't have any pictures or drawings yet and Kevin will be the guy to post these ideas (if he wants). I don't want to step into his sunshine!

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
russau -

I'm currently working on a very large dealer order with some custom aluminum highbankers (in addition to our pans and sluices). my goal is to have these done by the first week in June. also working on the new stands - folks will be in for a pleasant surprise with the "new" model. lots of finish filing to do prior to sending off to the welder. BTW measurements are 16" rear and 14" front, between the 3/4" leg holders. 16" center bars

Also been working on the calcs for the dredge project in between all the other stuff - been a morning coffee project. More to follow after the dealer order is done.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I'd like to (conveniently) mount the crash box hopper to the top of the legs for a transparent mounting to blend in with the current set up. Kind of a modular addition to what is ava. to current owners. I'm likening this the more I think about it!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried dredging into my small fluidbed with a keene combo hopper attached using a 2" hose and nozzle.
The trouble I had was getting the flow slow enough to not clog the suction hose while not being too fast to cause scouring.
Sorry I couldn't find the photos of me dredging into it at the creek.

gthb.jpg

It worked decent as a high banker though. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
russau - I agree with you - using a crash box hopper mounted to the stand is a great idea. The only hurdle is overcoming the need to lift the flare end of the sluice high enough to have it release from the stand. Not sure how that would be accomplished but I think we can figure it out.

I am going to Roseburg OR on Monday to hand off our big order to Dennis to finalize shipment. I will be shifting focus to building our new stands, but we can certainly begin working on this project. Not final yet, but it looks like Cali may be issuing dredge permits next year!

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goodguy -

You are right - balancing suction and water/material flow is pretty tough. I think russau and I will be fighting the same battle.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodguy -

You are right - balancing suction and water/material flow is pretty tough. I think russau and I will be fighting the same battle.

I'm sure it can be accomplished somehow, I believe in the old adage "where there is a will there is a way"
I was able to overcome the flow issue and use a 3" nozzle and crash box on my super fluid bed highbanker dredge .............

Attachments

• fbc2.jpg
    fbc2.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 138
  • fbc1.jpg
    fbc1.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a photo of a second dredge attempt into my small gold trap using a crash box that was also a fail..............

Attachments

• fail.jpg
    fail.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 168
OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just remember the old adage; If you haven’t planned to fail... you haven’t really thought it through.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It’s been a while and I was reviewing these last few posts. I love the input for bigger things. I’d be in heaven if I weren’t in California. :{

How about I go small for this bump.

I present the nosey sluice.

IMG_0871.JPG

This little attachment will attract gold; briefly presenting it like a two year old with a cold , just below the nostrils.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where’s the love. Well at least the Zook still works.
IMG_0909.JPG

Got a new coin. A commemorative.

Hard to make out but I believe it says

“Liberty Erodes when Good Men Do Nothing”.

The Liberty portrait is an important symbolic statement of my personal belief. I get my dollar or two and share the photo. My tradition and celebration of freedom as an American.
IMG_0777.JPG

So when this came out of our diggings it made me think. Partner asked “what’s that? Must be real old”. If it was older than me it would look a whole lot better.

Kinda like our Liberty looked then too. I now dig as an Outlaw. So I feel it is only fitting to put aside my precious half dollar. George is tearing up under there but I am reminded of the doctrine misquoted above;

I will do something.

IMG_0912.JPG

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a Bazooka "Miner" for sale on Craigs List (San Diego). Just punch in "gold prospecting sluice". That thing truly is a beast!

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    790 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There ya go. Looks like their eyes were bigger than their shovels. Like new.

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious why nobody has included a beer clip or two or 12 that weighs the sluice down for you and keeps the beer cold at the same time and in a readily available spot for consumption.. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread