What does a puddle of mercury register as on your MDs?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EZ and simple answer. Mercury is a non ferrous metal ,even though a liquid. It rings loud and clean on any detector if the concentration is big enough as extremely conductive. Any bfo,tr,vlf,or pulse will sounf off loud and clear. I worked the Carson River east of Carson City in the mid to late 80's and there were immense pools with many dozens of pounds. As a board member of the state Haz Mat it was reported. We dredged a couple of dozen holes from brunswick canyon to lake Lahonton and turned up hundreds of pounds of mercury,just loaded with gold which I kept!!YAHOO. Thats why to this day there are warnings all over the river and lakes-do not eat the fish and for many years do not enter the water even!! Treated with respect no big deal but if ya don't ,you too can be mad as a old english hatter with green teeth,no fingernails and looney as a jay bird. John

John,

Great response, with some fascinating additional information.

Thanks, and all the best,

Lanny

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like all metal targets mercury will read lower or higher depending on the size of the puddle of mercury. Mercury is only a fair conductor of electricity and so will read lower than similar size masses of silver or copper. For all intents it can be treated as a gold range target.

Steve Herschbach

Nice concise response Steve--this is something I wanted to know about.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread