What does a steel cent sound like?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of detector do you have?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might be rusted beyond being able to tell what they even are by now and not really worth even finding one, I don't even clean my wheat pennies anymore as they are usually in pretty bad shape as well. Those silver coins sure come out looking nice though. HH

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess it sounds alot like a steel washer? I have a steel wheatie just no atpro to check it.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be very surprised if you can find one that would be identifiable unless it was a recent drop. I mean, we know that the zinc coating wouldn't help preserve them in the ground. :BangHead:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck I would think it would sound like a grunt, also, I feel your hunger for that 44 steel!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
They sound like an iron/steel washer. On the ATP, they would read out really low... proboably in the 30s. As others have said... it would probably be rusted very badly. I have never seen one posted on TNet, that makes me think that they are either rusted away, or ignored by everyone as just another piece of scrap iron. If you use any discrimination... they the signal will probably be filtered completely out. GL&HH.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ping, ching, ting.. Something like that, it depends how you drop it. :laughing7:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's very rare for anyone to ever dig a steel cent that is identifiable. in most cases, they are nothing more than a round disc of rust layers

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You want to find a steel wheatie check the magnet on the bank coin counter machine...I've found many this way.

NJ

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They sound like an iron/steel washer. On the ATP, they would read out really low... proboably in the 30s. As others have said... it would probably be rusted very badly. I have never seen one posted on TNet, that makes me think that they are either rusted away, or ignored by everyone as just another piece of scrap iron. If you use any discrimination... they the signal will probably be filtered completely out. GL&HH.

I've seen them posted a few times, but it looks like they found them with copper other copper wheats. Once I replied to a thread wondering how the steel cent looked so good, and I think the finder found the steel cent under a torn out sidewalk.

davidj4220

Jul 6, 2013
I have asked myself that question many times on the surface with an at pro in almost all modes mainly 04 but choppy between 04-10 or even up to 20

ForumRunner_20140725_180649.png

ForumRunner_20140725_180705.png

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one last year with my AT Pro on accident. I only found it because it was in the hole with 2 normal wheaties. I tumbled it in pea gravel for probably around 50 hours before I could finally see the outline of lincoln's head to confirm it as a steelie!

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I found one last year with my AT Pro on accident. I only found it because it was in the hole with 2 normal wheaties. I tumbled it in pea gravel for probably around 50 hours before I could finally see the outline of lincoln's head to confirm it as a steelie!

Found one in small leather coin purse with other wheats, checked signal alone on my pro was bouncing between 2-4, wasn't really rusted which might change the signal somewhat I suppose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread