What does everyone do in the winter to prep for the next hunt?

Marlon Brando

Greenie
Oct 3, 2009
So for all us unfortunate people that have to deal with a snowy season, what do you all do to prepare for next Spring? I just got into this hobby about 2 months ago and dread that winter is here already and ending my fun. A friend of mine suggested I look at "plot maps???" to find old homesteads and property lines. I live in Western Nebraska and I'm not really sure what a plot map is, I was a city boy before I moved out here. But what does everyone else do when the snow starts flying?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Research
Research
Drool over ads for toys coming out next spring that we can't afford .
Get cranky because of the fact that we can't afford them and get cranky because of cabin fever .
Transfer that crankieness by squabbling more with our former friends on TN .
People that really start 'jonesing' begin pinpointing all the flooring nails in their home . WARNING ! Digging these finds will either lead to a winter remodeling project or a divorce :tongue3:
Research
Gives you a lot to look forward to , doesn't it ;D
Jim

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
break out the heavey winter clothes cause it gets down into the 70's :icon_sunny: an keep on huntin :laughing7:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I coin roll hunt for silver, it helps pass the winter blues, and you still get to find silver...lol

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I relic hunt in the snow......no insects no one bothers you...and you get down close to the ground...no crops in the fields..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go sit in a tree from daylight to dark and watch the deer go by on weekends. In january after deer season jump back into artifact hunting and metal detecting. Cold weather does not stop me deer season does :laughing7:
HH
TnMtns

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marlon Brando said:
Goes4Ever - How lucky do you get doing that? Just curious, it's something I'd try!
look at my signature...........that is my coin roll finds from this year

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pack and put away our winter clothes in the summer, and I pack and put away our summer clothes in the winter.

When the weather gets cold, I take the clothes I packed for the winter, throw them in the car and go south!!

Actually, that's what we try to do. The last couple of years ---------- :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

This year, we are hustling to finish a house with the last drops of sun. During the winter, we will be building cabinets, and such.

But --- we will be going to the warm country as soon as the door has a lock!!!!

B

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in Michigan, the detector never really gets put away, I got out every winter month last year. ffd

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tank 69 you rascal. If it got in the 70's up here in January we'd all drop dead, not to mention go broke. When it shuts down here at 9200 ft. I like to read a lot of treasure story books. And look up internet info. I know most of all that is 99% BS, but it's still inspiring. I was gonna buy a snowmbile, until I found out it was illegal to ride them on the streets. I don't ski. A lot of bars are within walkin distance and we have free bus service, so I get a perverse enjoyment out of watchin drunk tourists do that karoake thing. Some are pretty good, or else I'm drunker than they are.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tank69 said:
break out the heavy winter clothes cause it gets down into the 70's :icon_sunny: an keep on huntin :laughing7:
I'm 100% with ya on that one bro! LoL :laughing9:

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Well, here in Texas, it doesn't really stop me....even if it snowed, (and I have detected here while it has) I try to detect no matter what the weather....if it gets too bad out, I then turn to cleaning, researching leads, and trying to ID some of my finds....
Baggins

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, us treasure hunters are a bunch of........nutcases, sometimes.

We went out panning in a creek that we had brought hammers and a hatchet to, so that we could break up the ice, so we could pan in.

Darn close to frostbite by the end of that adventure!!!

I actually did get very mild frostbite up in Alaska - Chickaloon Creek, I remember it like yesterday - 1990 - a trip to Alaska (second one), Chickaloon Creek, straight off a glacier, brand new highbanker. I went in with my shoes still on. It was cold for a minute or so, but it was ok.

I sucked up bottom for a couple of hours or so - Roy stopped and built camp, started a fire - got my very first Alaska nugget in the quartz matrix.
Getting darker, I pulled everything up, got out of the water, and it felt like someone had stuck two huge weights to my feet. Got over to the campfire, took off the wet shoes, and socks, and found blue/white feet - had to warm up towels to wrap around my feet - but they didn't hurt a bit - until they started to defrost --- for the rest of the night, it was doublehell. Man, that hurt!

See what us treasure hunters will do for "fun". It's an addiction, I tell you, an addiction. Hello, my name is Beth, and I am a treasure-holic.

B

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Oh, us treasure hunters are a bunch of........nutcases, sometimes."

You can say that again Mrs. O.! :D There've been years I've carried a small hammer and chisel to cut through the frost line. One year I had a site so productive that I'd build little fires over the spots if they were good signals! More research for me now days, but I understand anyone who has to keep digging

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The winters are not too bad here. When it gets above 40 and no wind I will venture out. We usually have 4 or 5 days a month that is decent digging weather and the ground never freezes. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread