what does everyone think i should do?

firefighter35

Aug 19, 2009
Lebanon, pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x Minelab Explorer II Modified Bounty Hunter Garrett Ace 250(10x14 excelerator coil)

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
This topic should probably be under General Discussion, not Today's Finds. However...

The simple answer is keep it.
Why?
It's easy to earn more money (working your job or side jobs) to buy another detector. :icon_thumright:
It's not easy to find another 2 cent coin, let alone an 1872. :icon_scratch:

As far as saving it for the kids, I can only say my parents have collections of certain antiques that I will sell if they come to me. I just have no interest in them. Save it for yourself first. If your son sees that it is something you value, he may appreciate it or learn to value it himself and take an interest. But just as likely, he may not be interested in coins or metal detecting at all. :dontknow:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Firefighter,

Just wanted to add my two cents to the mix (no pun intended). BIG congrats on the two center! I found one myself about 6 weeks ago. It was really nasty, however, cleaned up super. I've attached a pic for you to enjoy. Welcome to the two cent club!

Now for my opinion to your question.....

First, I do not think that your piece would fetch a lot of money. I could be wrong, but, two centers are not really big money pieces. Mine was an 1864. That is the only year where you might make a little $$$. Second, even if you could make a couple of hundred bucks, remember that you invested your sweat, tears & labor looking for that coin. Isn't the experience worth more than the money? And the coin itself will be a great conversation piece and keepsake for you and your family for years to come. Would you sacrifice that for a few bucks?

Obviously, if times are bad and you need to eat, heck, sell it ALL. However, it sounds like you want to use the funds from the coin to purchase a new detector. I say keep the coin. The story, the effort & the piece itself is priceless. Congrats again.

Attachments

• DSCF0067.jpg
    DSCF0067.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 849
  • DSCF0068.jpg
    DSCF0068.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 851

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need the money sell it. If not, then having it as a memento is priceless.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
your coin will not be the value you may think it's worth cause it is dug... coin grade usually drops 1-2 grade down from the actual grade.... if you clean the coin it will drop the grades even lower.... so I think be4 you think about selling you should find out what it's actually worth....

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum
I would keep the coin, I have never sold a coin I have found And I have been detecting for around 30 years, Yes I have tons of cool finds worth money but the memory of looking at a coin and looking at how it made you feel after finding it is worth more than what you would get out of the coin and what is the chance of you finding another 2 center, I have never found one!!!!!! You can buy a new detector later when you cash in all the clad coins you find. good luck and keep on posting your finds.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think selling it would add that much to your upgrade. You might hang on to it and wait till you see a metal detector here on TNet where they are willing to take trades in the deal. That might make it more valuable if they want one for their collection. Here's something to think about. As my dad says.... It's not eating anything where it is right now so hang on to it till you find someone who just can't live without it. Good luck with your decision and congrats on finding that 2 center :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the exception of my first year of detecting, when I sold all the gold rings/necklaces that I found, I have since started saving everything, and have a "keepers box" specifically for that purpose.

So unless I get hard up for $$, I will continue to do that, someday someone will inherit it, then probably cash it in.
Until then, it is a record of my finds, something I enjoy browsing from time to time, and something to show off to family and trusted friends, who thereby might be enticed into getting a detector themselves.

My keepers box alone I reckon I have paid for my detector 15 to 20 X, maybe more.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were mine..........(Anyone wanna say what I'd do??) :laughing9:

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
njnydigger said:
First, I do not think that your piece would fetch a lot of money. I could be wrong, but, two centers are not really big money pieces. Mine was an 1864. That is the only year where you might make a little $$$.

Sorry, but I most correct you on this one. There were over 19 million 1864 2 centers minted compared to 65 THOUSAND in 1872. The coin he found is the key coin in the 2 cent series and rightly commands the highest dollar value. Depending on condition 1872 sells for several hundred up into the thousands.

As for your question, if you can afford a better machine without selling the coin, go for it. If you are broke and want a machine, selling the coin would definatly help. I have sold some items and wish I had them back. But I do not hesitate to sell the big ticket items. If the coin were mine, I would keep it if I could but sell if the need arrised.
Anthony

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
firefighter35 said:
hey, i posted that pic of the 1872 2 center coin i found. what should i do with it. should i hold onto it for my son or should i sell it and buy a better metal detector? im finding out that this can be very very fun and very lucrative on the side. please let me know what yall think i should do. thanks, greg horning :dontknow:

It can only be lucrative if you quit your job, spend all your time researching and traveling, and occasionally make a big find to pay for all that time off and expense.

Otherwise, it's a good hobby, and every once-in-a-while a person finds something nice. :wink:

-Buck

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do what you want to do. Who cares what any one thinks! lol I collect and I sell. There are some things I feel are a nuisance, accumulated that I have no interest in collecting. And they are worth money. So, I sell. Besides you can't take it with you...right? Your personal choice. i had a friend who had a wondeful RW collection that held on to it until he passed. The collection was pawned for peanuts by a young heir. I feel if a find is significant historicly it should be documented for future refference and education.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a old coin has 2 values,
one it's Historical Value, 2nd is Monetary Value
Which one do you want to invest in?

Nova Treasure

Suckerpunched

Nov 15, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
I'd say three values.....the third being the personal gratification that you found something, whatever it is, from a past generation..
Just my humble opinion,,,,,,
HH.....TC

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Suckerpunched said:
I'd say three values.....the third being the personal gratification that you found something, whatever it is, from a past generation..
Just my humble opinion,,,,,,
HH.....TC

That would be a part of Historical Value :wink:.

Nova Treasure

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say if you have to sell it do so if not then hold onto it

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Ive never sold any of my coins ,gave some away. But I have sold some relics, and rings. I guess it just depends on how attached you are to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread