What does gold sound like on a Garrett 2500?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very hard to describe what gold sounds like in words. The best way to learn is to wave the coil over a few gold rings at the same settings you used in the park. Then wave the coil over a couple pull tabs to see if there is a difference. The sound can sound richer with good head phones too.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I did wave a small ring but it just sounded like a coin. I will see if I can get a couple together and see what it sounds like.

Thanks

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dig everything at the start until you get to know about what it could be. Some rings will come in in the pulltab area.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lafatlife,

I myself hear gold and coins the same with the Garrett 2500. I dig almost everything that shows up as coin or ring size that isn't discriminated out. With my other detector I found a ring amongst pull tabs that someone esle had walked over.

Dig everything....by the way, at least with me, when it makes the over load sound it is because there is an aluminum can near the coil.

good luck and go find many rings.

HH

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I have found 2 silver rings but digging everything as usual. I do try to dig most things but sometimes I don't have the time.

Do you guys dig things that are at 12 inches? If it doesn't say it is a coin.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried one time to dig an object at 12 inches. It didn't show as coin size, it was the largest size (size E) and turned out to be a pipe. Since then I never dig anything that deep because it tears up a lot of ground and could cause damage to something important buried there. I read somewhere, but don't remember which post, that even a coin at 12 inches will show up as size E. I believe it has to be something large to show up at that depth so I doubt the machine will detect a coin size object at 12 inches.

The deepest I ever recovered a coin from was about 6 inches, maybe 7, that showed up on the screen as size B. The screen identified it as a penny, it turned out to be a Mercury Dime. Maybe its just the soil conditions where I live but anything that shows up as coin size at 6 inches most of the time turns out to be an older coin.

As the manual says dig some of the objects and see what they are and then let us know. Believe me I'm just as curious.

Other word of advice; if you get a coin signal at 6 inches for example and dig for it and then the signal disappears, try to dig the loose soil out of the hole. Sometimes the coin or other object falls deeper. That happened to me the other night. I dug down and couldn't find the object. I rescaned and nothing. I pulled out the loose material and there it was, a 1916d Wheat Cent. I know that's why some buy an electronic probe, but right now I don't have the extra funds for one.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On the E sized targets @ 12" often it's a very small target that can fool the MD or your pinpoint is off. (my experience)

Rarely I have dig such targets.

The deepest coin w/ correct ID was @ 8". B sized.
I do dig all A, B and C sized objects.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Jpotter, thanks for the info. I choose not to dig the 12 inch deep ones because as you said it can be pretty messy. You are right that it usually shows size E. I have been tempted just to see what it is and I realize that most pipes that contain electricity or water or even gas are usually deeper than that but you never know if someone tried to hook up something themselves and did not go deep enough.

One of these days when I am on a site where I can feel comfortable digging that deep, I will and let you know what it is.

For now, last weekend while scanning an old park, I pulled up an old skeleton key and 1 1914 wheaty.

I love detecting because you never know what you are going to dig up. :)

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lafatlife,

My experience is I've been using my GTI 2500 with the 5 x 10 DD coil and use the discriminate set to 'zero' with sensitivity at around 5-7, which kind of stabilizes the GTI in my opinion. The zero setting has three distinctive level of sounds "Ding-Ding" for 8 thru 12 (coins), "Beep-Beep" for 6 thru 7 (gold rings) & 3.5 thru 4 (nickels), <and> "Boop-Boop" for ferrous junk, 0 thru 3.

You may also choose the custom settings too. My settings (if you were looking only for gold rings) is set your notching to accept 6 thru 7, everything else notched out! The reason I use the custom settings for rings is that I air tested several types of gold rings to see what and how the detector would respond to. But remember, pulltabs are notorious and mimick gold rings. I know it'll be frustating and a hassle to keep digging up pulltabs, but keep at it.

Hope this helps,

TC-NM

p.s., Also Sandman is right from the previous post discussing the richer sound. . .

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
to me, gold sounds just like a pulltab on the 2500. thats why i always dig them when im using mine. :wink:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lafatlife said:
Jpotter, thanks for the info. I choose not to dig the 12 inch deep ones because as you said it can be pretty messy. You are right that it usually shows size E. I have been tempted just to see what it is and I realize that most pipes that contain electricity or water or even gas are usually deeper than that but you never know if someone tried to hook up something themselves and did not go deep enough. there's another thing remember when it shows at 12 inches it could be deeper than that, it could even be a storm drain cover at 3 feet, but showing size E at 12 inches

One of these days when I am on a site where I can feel comfortable digging that deep, I will and let you know what it is. please because my experience with finding out what it was at 12 inches always turned out to be pipes

For now, last weekend while scanning an old park, I pulled up an old skeleton key and 1 1914 wheaty. give me Wheat Cent anyday, I'm not lucky enough to find silver coins (just 3 in my detecting career)...maybe one day....remember when you find Wheats there might be silver there

I love detecting because you never know what you are going to dig up. :) that's the fun of it, that's why I do it

As for the sound of GOLD, you might want to try waiving a few gold rings in front of the coil. You will hear it, but you will see when you find it, it will make a different sound. Plus you will be so excited you found it, that probably you won't remember much before it or after it, just the memory of it gleaming in your hand :thumbsup:

If you need any other help with the GTI let me know. I'm not an expert, but I love the machine and I know how to use it .

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Thanks for the advice. I have only found 1 silver dime and 2 silver rings so far. The rest has been clad and some old stuff. In fact I need to post a picture because I have no idea what I found. It looks like it might be an old comb for a horses mane but I am not sure. It is made of metal and is heavy too.

I have to find my camera and post that when I have the time.

Thanks again. :)

shibumi

Greenie
Aug 18, 2007
About 2 weeks ago I found my first gold ring. It is 14 karat it registered at number 6 it sound just like a pre 1980 penny ,wheatie, indian head. I live in Red Wing MN we have a very high mineral content here so it might sound different where your at. When I found the ring the site I was at I have found 4 indian pennies I actually thought thats what I was digging up what a nice surprise. I hope that helps some.

OP
OP
lafatlife

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I guess that due to my newness with the 2500, I should just dig everything. I typically do anyway unless I really don't have much time. It has been raining on and off for the last 10 days and it's usually when I am off work so I haven't been able to go for over 10 days now.

I am itching to get back to it again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions