what does gold sound like?

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity, what does gold sound like on a metal detector? I know it varies on different detectors but I have never been able to tell on mine. The one I have is a simple bounty hunter quick silver with ID targets. It was my very first and the only one I have for now. The led ID screen shows iron, aluminum/zync 5 cents and coins. Once it finds something in the ground, it beeps, giving either a high or low tone. The ID can be misleading because half the time it doesn't turn out to be that object. Its a good detector and it has served me well but i never figured out how gold comes up on it.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Just out of curiosity, what does gold sound like on a metal detector? I know it varies on different detectors but I have never been able to tell on mine. The one I have is a simple bounty hunter quick silver with ID targets. It was my very first and the only one I have for now. The led ID screen shows iron, aluminum/zync 5 cents and coins. Once it finds something in the ground, it beeps, giving either a high or low tone. The ID can be misleading because half the time it doesn't turn out to be that object. Its a good detector and it has served me well but i never figured out how gold comes up on it.

Too many variables in your question. You're talking about jewelry (as opposed to nuggets), right? As such, that would be alloyed gold (as opposed to pure gold, which is a high conductor when pure 24k).

And also when you say, "what does it *sound* like?", are you referring to the TID conductivity reading it will give? (ie.: foil, tab, nail, penny, etc...) ? Or are you truly referring to "sound", regardless of TID meter reading?

Thus you need to be a little more specific in your question.

For starters, if you meant "sound" (irregardless of TID), then I'm afraid to tell you that gold has no specific "sound", at least not so far as sounding different than something ELSE, that is :( We all sure wish it did though! Because if it did, we'd all go out and look for that specific sound, and pass all other sounds, haha

But assuming you meant gold alloyed (10k, 14k, 18k) jewelry, and assuming you meant conductivity range, even then the answer is going to be: It depends on the size of the particular piece of jewelry. Because the conductivity of an item not only involves the actual composition of the item (copper, gold, silver, aluminum, etc...), but also the SIZE of the item. So for example: A small solitair fine thin ladies ring will read down into the foil ranges (very low), while a men's standard band might read around nickel. A thicker fatter band might read in the tab range. And a super bowl ring might read up at penny/dime or whatever. So again, no set "sound".

Size per size, aluminum and gold share the same conductivity ranges, so you can test various wads and snippets of aluminum cans and foil, and that should answer your question (when it comes to alloyed gold jewelry).

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There only one way to find out. Toss a ring or gold coin or bracelet or whatever gold you can find on the ground and swing the coil over it!

OP
OP
RelicPrime113

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" But assuming you meant gold alloyed (10k, 14k, 18k) jewelry, and assuming you meant conductivity range, even then the answer is going to be: It depends on the size of the particular piece of jewelry. Because the conductivity of an item not only involves the actual composition of the item (copper, gold, silver, aluminum, etc...), but also the SIZE of the item. So for example: A small solitair fine thin ladies ring will read down into the foil ranges (very low), while a men's standard band might read around nickel. A thicker fatter band might read in the tab range. And a super bowl ring might read up at penny/dime or whatever. So again, no set "sound".

Size per size, aluminum and gold share the same conductivity ranges, so you can test various wads and snippets of aluminum cans and foil, and that should answer your question (when it comes to alloyed gold jewelry). "

Thank you, that seem to answer my question. I apologize if it was confusing.

OP
OP
RelicPrime113

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There only one way to find out. Toss a ring or gold coin or bracelet or whatever gold you can find on the ground and swing the coil over it!

I have thought about doing that too but never gotten around to it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
but ......

I have thought about doing that too but never gotten around to it.

But just be aware: the "sound" you hear on that ring or gold coin or bracelet you toss on the ground (or air-test) will be the sound of *just* that one item. What I mean is, that's just one size gold ring, right? And just one size gold coin, right? ($1, vs $2.50, vs $5, etc...), and just one type/size bracelet, right?

So even air or ground testings won't show you "what gold sounds like".

Vladio

Mar 5, 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro, ProPointer &
Bounty Hunter (kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think I understand the gist of your question. Yes, every machine will "sound" different on the same object but on a "general" level it sounds like what I call a mid-tone. I'm new so my MD vocab isn't very refined but it rings in like a nickel in terms of sound on my machine - AT Pro. I just dug up a couple rings which include my wedding band - el cheapo hundred dollars (guess who got the nice, expensive ring. :laughing7:), a nugget with a gold hook to be hung from a necklace - hasn't been worn since '96, lol, and my class ring that's pretty beefy - 10k.

The wedding band showed a 55 on the display, gold nugget showed 47 and the class ring a 67. I scanned a Nickel and it read 53. Like I said, this is all the same sound on my Garrett. Lead sounds in this range along with a bunch of other stuff, obviously.

OP
OP
RelicPrime113

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That make sense, unfortunately my metal detector doesn't show numbers.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Different detectors will have different sounds, so that is a huge variable.

On my XLT, gold sounds warm and wonderful, or maybe that is just the way I feel after finding it. :hello2:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever dug a piece of foil, pulltab, square tab , piece of aluminum, or a zinc penny. Gold of various alloys could sound like these and a few others.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its more like a vrooomvroooomvroooom! Here's how different gold items sound on Sov GT and Excal (the speaker sounds terrible compared to good headphones). Love this video from FernoxMD

Last edited:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some "professional treasure hunters" say it sounds like roundness in the hole.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a really easy question. It sounds like a lead bullet or sinker. A 14K gold ring sounds like a nickel, or pulltab. If you are notching out nickels, you are losing gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread