What does it mean when I see my marked coins?

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to test the waters and durations to see when I'd get my marked coins back, if ever, I marked some few months back.

Well today I saw couple in the freshly packed skunk boxes.

I have been opening skunks weeks after weeks and now to see my marked coins. I pretty much am sure the AGs are dry in my area and the dumps are going in circles.

Should I stop getting boxes? I get only 2 boxes a week and dumping them aint fun. I know some of you might say hang in there but it is my longest skunk streak of 14 boxes over continous 7 weeks now....

I still do dimes/nickels at about 1 keeper/box.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're not enjoying the half hunting, move on to a coin where you will have fun. In the end you should enjoy this hobby. Otherwise it's just work. Good Luck!!

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't go to Vegas right now, your luck sux. Give halves a break or try another bank if possible. Getting your own dumps sometimes means your carrier is not doing a lot of volume. Cheers and good luck, Jim

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you should stop. you're not happy with getting your marks back and silver is dry, why waste your time??

Of course I have my personal opinion to keep trudging through skunk boxes to find that one box to make it all worth it. I mark halves occasionally too, some members send me PM's saying they found my halves... just got a PM, took 4 weeks for my marked coins to reach somebody 150 miles away. Now remember, I mark very few coins, but when I do, I mark the back with the date as well for my experiment. I've only gotten a few of my dumped coins back, but that does not mean I don't get somebody elses, I am currently on a 12-box skunk streak.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your taking the time to look at the dates your doing it all wrong. I only look at the ends for the silver. I look at the coins that look like silver.Just to make sure!!they are or not??

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
According to what many say on roll hunting forums, it means absolutely nothing. Or, so they tell me.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to what many say on roll hunting forums, it means absolutely nothing. Or, so they tell me.
Well theres one thing i can tell you. At the end of the week every week i have a pile of silver. And i never got skunked. Don't get be wrong i love md i have a good met.detect. but crh is where its at.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
volume is king, if you only do 2 boxes per week the odds are you will be eating alot of skunks week after week, you need to increase your sample size. Also try to pickup from different banks and dump at different bank chains to spread your dumps around. In the end the thats all that CRHing is though is circulating dumps and hoping that you get the next persons stash that was somehow re-entered into circulation.

There are no mythical pallets that have been sitting around untouched for 48 years etc. If you want to find silver you have to up your volume, if you want to find alot of silver you need to do huge volume. I do about 40-60 boxes per week. Do as many as you can consistently every week. Edge check unless you are seriously into the numismatics of it date checking is a huge waste of time. Even edge checking I find all the proofs i need for my Dansco.

Don't even worry about marked coins, I generally prefer to see marked coin enders vs row after row of shiny 2001's which is almost a sure sign of a skunk.

HH
Bigheed

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
volume is king, if you only do 2 boxes per week the odds are you will be eating alot of skunks week after week, you need to increase your sample size. Also try to pickup from different banks and dump at different bank chains to spread your dumps around. In the end the thats all that CRHing is though is circulating dumps and hoping that you get the next persons stash that was somehow re-entered into circulation.

There are no mythical pallets that have been sitting around untouched for 48 years etc. If you want to find silver you have to up your volume, if you want to find alot of silver you need to do huge volume. I do about 40-60 boxes per week. Do as many as you can consistently every week. Edge check unless you are seriously into the numismatics of it date checking is a huge waste of time. Even edge checking I find all the proofs i need for my Dansco.

Don't even worry about marked coins, I generally prefer to see marked coin enders vs row after row of shiny 2001's which is almost a sure sign of a skunk.

HH
Bigheed
Big Heed your 100% right.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there keep at it... LoL... No seriouse I had 20 skunk boxes in a row at the begining of this year before I had a box with 21 40%. If you stop doing it then any fresh Ag added to the mix will be picked up by someone else. I like dimes as an alternative. I have been doing an equal dollar amount of dime and halves every week and I am at near double the dimes to halves. Keep doing it so you are there when someone puts grandad's coin collection into the rotation.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Well theres one thing i can tell you. At the end of the week every week i have a pile of silver. And i never got skunked. Don't get be wrong i love md i have a good met.detect. but crh is where its at.
And what does that have to do with marked coins?

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Who cares just pick the new silver out. There will all ways be new coins added in!!

It would shed some light on how the box was processed. if 80% of the box is your dumps, it says the coins weren't shuffled much that day. why mark unless you are trying to learn something?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread